Convict Cichlid Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I notice that when my convict cichlid is around other fish, his/her dorsal fin will stand straight up and then it lowers when they retreat.

Is this a sign of aggressiion or something else? This is the only fish I have that has this behavior.

Yeah, they usually scram pretty fast and he just goes about his business. I found this to be an interesting trait when watching him.

I keep Honduran Red Points which are similar to convicts, even the little 2" males will flare their gills/fins at 14" oscars. Which is very funny knowing the oscar could swallow him whole!

yeah i like the convict cichlids they are aggressive little things though lol. I seen two the other day controlling a whole tank of other fish at the pet shop, that was his and her driftwood and no one was allowed even close to it.

I have few convicts. Once the fries are out oh my lord the convict parent chases my 12" red devil male and corners him! But one thing about convict is they are cheap but way too nice. Love them.

My convict does the same thing. It's so funny to watch cause he swims vertically when he does it and he only has one fin. Bt no one bothers him. Lol and he is the little guy.

My convict seems to be more mild tempered ever since I introduced an Oscar that is slightly bigger than him.

Now, everyone seems gets along nicely. Except during feeding time!

I recently introduced a Convict, Jack Dempsey and Fire-Mouth into the same tank and the Convict claimed the biggest decoration as his own. No one comes near it, looks at, or even talks about it :) Mind you he is smaller than the other two as well.

My Convict also flares up when he does this. It is very interesting to watch. They're just little guys (about 2") so adulthood will be interesting.

Great Stories. I wasn't expecting the Convict to be such a "personality fish", but he gives me countless hours of amusement with his territorial behavior.

BrownH20 - How do the Convict, JD and Firemouth get along? I've been warned about how agressive the JD and Firemouth are? I'd love to get them, but don't want any trouble in the tank.

Not saying it's correct to do, but I have 2 jack dempseys and a a few convicts in a 90 g and all is good. Even with fry. I feed the jacks on one side of the tank and convicts on the other. It's like parting of the ways when they all see me go for food :) It's a fun tank to watch. They aren't quite as amused as my mbuna tank with the laser pointer ( that's hilarious to watch!!!!!) but they love playing with my cats n dogs thru glass... ESP convicts with fry... 

Back
Top Bottom