Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a cool lookin plant almost bought one from petco not the plastic tubes but the vaccum sealed ones. I didn't though wich left room for the a.gracillis I just got.

Nice job there, I loved.
How do you keep the Tiger Lotus small? Mine trends to send the leaves all the way to the top, maybe I need more light, but yours looks short, which I liked more.

Nice job there, I loved.
How do you keep the Tiger Lotus small? Mine trends to send the leaves all the way to the top, maybe I need more light, but yours looks short, which I liked more.

Thank you. I get "runners" also. I just trim it low and then it tends to grow low and outward.

Tiger Lotus throw out two different types of leaves. One are the submerged leaves which tend to be arrowhead shaped. These are the leaves you want. Then they also produce surface leaves which you don't want because once you allow surface leaves to reach the surface the plant puts it's energy into growing mostly these leaves. So what you want to do is anytime you see a more rounded leaf making a quick run to the surface, cut it off. What this does it encourages the bulb to produce more submerged leaf growth which you want. If you keep those surface runner leaves clipped off you will find you get nice full submerged growth.

I've been lucky with my tiger lotus after that first trimming when I got it I've had nothing but low growth. I did just notice the other day 2 little pointed leaves growing out of the substrate about 3/4 of an inch away from it though.

Tiger Lotus throw out two different types of leaves. One are the submerged leaves which tend to be arrowhead shaped. These are the leaves you want. Then they also produce surface leaves which you don't want because once you allow surface leaves to reach the surface the plant puts it's energy into growing mostly these leaves. So what you want to do is anytime you see a more rounded leaf making a quick run to the surface, cut it off. What this does it encourages the bulb to produce more submerged leaf growth which you want. If you keep those surface runner leaves clipped off you will find you get nice full submerged growth.

Thanks Rivercats

Dino will be back soon (we hope) here is a text I received from him below. He also sent me a few pictures and the tanks are looking mighty fine.

I'll be back soon!! Just been real busy and working a 2nd job trying to get a house and I REALLY want a Harley lol

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! Sorry I've been away for so long. I gotta say it was very surprising how many reached out to me!! I'm actually humbled cause here I thought I was just "some guy" on some fish forum. Anyway. Here's some updated pics I took today of the planted tank.

img_2601924_0_d8c09a669f2aeaa9a4ea91865b38051d.jpg

img_2601924_1_92dd6069ac43532bfe68885a641249da.jpg

img_2601924_2_37ae86daf731d75b8647e493f03af3b5.jpg

img_2601924_3_28e16290ddc0807fd5c3b11be21bd32e.jpg

img_2601924_4_82013e31dff8f8195eceae96cc48def6.jpg

img_2601924_5_2156fa3c299e3349f7d9eac6869f6905.jpg

img_2601924_6_51e3fb9d0323d654a70fde3a978c9fa2.jpg

I'm very pleased with the growth and how it looks, I dose the the GLA fert pack and liquid carbon (metricide 14 day)

I trimmed the tank earlier in the day that's why it's a little blah

Glad your back! The tank is a forest! I love the way the Fissidens has attached and drapes! Everything is looking great but then I didn't expect anything less from you.

Tank is looking great, Dino! I agree with Janis, I'm really diggin' the cascading look of the fissidens. I'd love to have a large school of neons like that too!

Back
Top Bottom