Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm confused... This gift is hers right? Not one from her to you that's going to be in lieu of the Mr. Aqua rimless?

Assuming it's separate from this build, if you're going for another HOB, my vote would be an AC 70. Better yet, I'd just get my money back and buy a Fluval c4 on Amazon (since i don't think they're sold at petco). Even better than that would be a Fluval 306... In that order from least to best...any would be better than the biowheel :)

Call me biased, I'm not a fan of biowheels at all.

I'm confused... This gift is hers right? Not one from her to you that's going to be in lieu of the Mr. Aqua rimless?

Assuming it's separate from this build, if you're going for another HOB, my vote would be an AC 70. Better yet, I'd just get my money back and buy a Fluval c4 on Amazon (since i don't think they're sold at petco). Even better than that would be a Fluval 306... In that order from least to best...any would be better than the biowheel :)

Call me biased, I'm not a fan of biowheels at all.

It's a gift from her to me, I had no idea. Now I'm at a loss on what to do.

She's all excited cause she got me black sand, the sand I have in my cichlid tank. She doesn't l ow tanks etc. I feel horrible saying "honey nice thought but you return everything it's all wrong" that's gonna be hard to say

Oh and this was because of all my talk about a planted tank. She spoke with a friend of mine and Petco.

Haha... AA 101... Don't listen to advice from Petco/smart people..if you do, it's with a BIG grain of salt! I say just be honest and let her know. You've been doing your research and show her what you've discovered and show her the potential of rimless planted tanks -- then, hopefully she'll understand. On the bright side, petco has a good return policy :)

Now that's between a rock and a hard place... Dang dude... Good luck, I'll be praying for you... ;)

Yeah man, a total surprise. I should be happy, got a stand, tank, filter, heater, 40 pounds of Tahitian moon sand. AND... She even ran out to return the bio wheel and got an AC110. I have NO IDEA what to do!

My advice is to set this one up for her&start your own build...sounds like a great girl though!

My advice is to set this one up for her&start your own build...sounds like a great girl though!

That seems to be the best plan. Find something to do with this tank, maybe a sort of first run at a planted tank. Low light, low tech, and use it to get your bearings before the more technical rimless work of art.

That seems to be the best plan. Find something to do with this tank, maybe a sort of first run at a planted tank. Low light, low tech, and use it to get your bearings before the more technical rimless work of art.

Good plan. Get an angel. Figure out plants.

Good plan. Get an angel. Figure out plants.

Ok I think I'm gonna use this tank like you said. To get my hands wet so to speak. She already bought me everything and asked what light I wanted so I pointed her to the finnex ray 2 unless someone has a better idea but the finnex seems to be a solid company and light.

So I'll toy around and see how it goes. How many angels in a 30 gallon?

30" L X 12.5" W X 18" H

Two adults would be pushing it. Two juvies you could do. Ideally one .

Ok I wanna do this right. So ONE angel, that's ok. She's also buying me a light. I like the look of the finnex fixtures and its not the same black fixture and its not a bad price, the Ray 2 30" is just under 100 bucks.

Also with one angel can there be any other fish or am I looking at one angel? lol.

I can't complain she went above and beyond. Total surprise. I was mentioning it today and she said she had an Easter surprise at her moms because it was too big to hide. I was thinking please don't let it be a tank, lol is that bad? Certain things shouldn't be surprises haha.

But hey! A wonderful wife and she went and bought all this stuff. Even got the right magnafloat for acrylic tanks!!

That's my girl!!!

I agree, two adults or a pair, would be too much in a 30g. Especially if they breed. My five or so year old angel didn't have much room in the tank, 30L (36x12], top to bottom. Also when she lays eggs she gets extremely territorial.

What's the foot print of the acrylic?

Edit: saw your post after.. As far as tank mates.. Your options are pretty open. Schooling fish, tetras, etc do great. I had a pair of Kribs with her, got a little hectic when the angel and Kribs laid eggs but no real issues.

I agree, two adults or a pair, would be too much in a 30g. Especially if they breed. My five or so year old angel didn't have much room in the tank, 30L (36x12], top to bottom. Also when she lays eggs she gets extremely territorial.

What's the foot print of the acrylic?

Edit: saw your post after.. As far as tank mates.. Your options are pretty open. Schooling fish, tetras, etc do great. I had a pair of Kribs with her, got a little hectic when the angel and Kribs laid eggs but no real issues.

Awesome thanks!! So... I like those cardinal tetras. Maybe rummy nose? I like Kribs also. This all just happened so fast. First thing tomorrow hopefully is to get stand up and tank running. I'll throw in some media from one of my aqua clears.

I think some kribs would look good.

And you could still have the cardinal tetras, and cories.

Kribs can be buttheads, so I'm not exactly sure how well they will work in your setup. There are lots of apistos out there which IME are a bit less aggressive, I would look into those. Apistogramma cacatuoides and Apistogramma borelli are some of my favorites, also Apistogramma panduro are pretty neat. The borelli and the panduros really prefer soft water, however cacatuoides is one of the more hard water-tolerant apistos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom