Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said this planted tank stuff is Latin to me lol. Guess ill just keep sitting back munchin on some popcorn while you planted gurus take care of it haha

Or munch on popcorn and watch me blow something up when "tanks go wrong" lol

Fluval 306 should be more than enough, especially with the light bioload. I think with the 306 and 406 17mm lily pipes are what you'll be looking for. For the 206, 13mm would work.

When you decide to get the lily pipes, you'll need to get vinyl hoses from Home Depot. 13mm lily pipes, you'll need 1/2" ID hoses. 17mm = 5/8" ID hoses.

On a side note, if you're approaching your budget, you can save money on your co2 system by piecing it together rather than buying a package i believe.

Fluval 306 should be more than enough, especially with the light bioload. I think with the 306 and 406 17mm lily pipes are what you'll be looking for. For the 206, 13mm would work.

When you decide to get the lily pipes, you'll need to get vinyl hoses from Home Depot. 13mm lily pipes, you'll need 1/2" ID hoses. 17mm = 5/8" ID hoses.

On a side note, if you're approaching your budget, you can save money on your co2 system by piecing it together rather than buying a package i believe.

Ok thanks for the info and advice. I'm gonna figure money all out tomorrow and see where I'm at with my budget.

You will need to purchase a tank to go with the Milwaukee regulator, but IMO it is the better option of the two. The first looks to me like nothing more than a very expensive, branded paintball CO2 system, with their own brand tanks. You do need a drop checker with both as well.

I would wait for someone else to chime in who actually has experience with CO2, but from the threads I've read it is most worthwhile to go the regulator and pressurized tank route versus paintball, but if you do want to go paintball I would save yourself some money and look into a paintball CO2 regulator (GLA and Aquatek both sell ones that seem to be reliable) that you can just hook up to a standard 24 oz paintball tank and easily refill.

You will need to purchase a tank to go with the Milwaukee regulator, but IMO it is the better option of the two. The first looks to me like nothing more than a very expensive, branded paintball CO2 system, with their own brand tanks. You do need a drop checker with both as well.

I would wait for someone else to chime in who actually has experience with CO2, but from the threads I've read it is most worthwhile to go the regulator and pressurized tank route versus paintball, but if you do want to go paintball I would save yourself some money and look into a paintball CO2 regulator (GLA and Aquatek both sell ones that seem to be reliable) that you can just hook up to a standard 24 oz paintball tank and easily refill.

Thanks! Two very experienced and knowledgeable members have recommended the Milwaukee regulator so I'm going with that one and then buying the tank and drop checker.

Another vote for the MA957. Worked like a charm for years, even with the stock needle valve. Ended up selling it a few months back.

I skipped a few pages but is this for a 30g? I think a 406 would be too much, personally. I got one on my 75g and it puts out some serious flow. I would think in a 30 there would be tons of agitation, and your co2 would off gas.

I'd recommend planting extremely heavy at first and starting with ei dosing. It is super easy and leaves plenty of room for error. Eventually i switched to pps pro and auto dosers as I am, well, lazy. Pps lets you dose less and adjust to your tanks needs, where as ei you just flood the tank with nutrients, used or unused, and then reset with a PWC.

Good luck!

Another vote for the MA957. Worked like a charm for years, even with the stock needle valve. Ended up selling it a few months back.

I skipped a few pages but is this for a 30g? I think a 406 would be too much, personally. I got one on my 75g and it puts out some serious flow. I would think in a 30 there would be tons of agitation, and your co2 would off gas.

I'd recommend planting extremely heavy at first and starting with ei dosing. It is super easy and leaves plenty of room for error. Eventually i switched to pps pro and auto dosers as I am, well, lazy. Pps lets you dose less and adjust to your tanks needs, where as ei you just flood the tank with nutrients, used or unused, and then reset with a PWC.

Good luck!

Your correct its only a 30 gallon rimless.... So that regulator will be fine then I take it. I have the tank, light, and now I'll go down to I guess a 306?

EDIT:

And I'm going with the finnex ray 2 high output LED fixture. Unless anyone has anywhere suggestions. I'll be honest lol. This co2 thing had me kinda hesitant.

Last edited:
I'm following because I feel compelled to. Plus all the reactions to this journey to the green side are entertaining. You certainly are doing your research. I think the plant selection and layout phases are going to be interesting. Enjoy!

I'm following because I feel compelled to. Plus all the reactions to this journey to the green side are entertaining. You certainly are doing your research. I think the plant selection and layout phases are going to be interesting. Enjoy!

Thanks!! lol right now I have a headache and this is just figuring out the co2 lol. I was thinking lights and plants lol.

Dont know if anyone told ya yet, but co2 is going to effect your ph. Just keep that in mind

Oh boy.... I've read about it but I'm also confused about it. I see I have ALOT of reading to do. I also read how you use co2 during the day but not at night, and you need to check levels of co2 as it can harm fish.

This is making want to start even slower and just do the plants and first. Maybe later add the co2 system. It would ease up the budget and my headache lol.

This pH drop is nothing to worry about though you so want to understand it. Kicking the solenoid off at night is sufficient. If you really are concerned about pH swing you can run the system on a pH controller (Miwaukee SMS122). However it isn't required. The pH swing co2 causes between day and night has little affect on fish.

Last edited:
Here is a chart for ya

This pH drop is nothing to worry about though you so want to understand it. Kicking the solenoid off at night is sufficient. If you really are concerned about pH swing you can run the system on a pH controller (Miwaukee SMS122). However it isn't required. The pH swing co2 causes between day and night has little affect on fish.

Thank you both!! Justin lol question... What was harder for you, now speaking from your experience. Reef or planted. Just curious as I value your opinions greatly. Also do you think I can hold off on co2 for now or is it best to start out with it from the beginning?

If you don't want to get co2 right away just get a air hose and blow bubbles in the tank every few hour. Joking, had plants for about a month without co2 they just didn't grow as fast. Just make sure you have good lighting

For the type of tank you want and given your foray with reefing I think you will want it. It is absolutely possible to have great tanks without it (see rivercats). I have done planted both ways and I like co2 injection. It makes keeping difficult plants easier and makes a very noticeable difference in plant health and color.

As far as which is more difficult that is a tough question. There are challenges to both. I think my reef was more frustrating in the beginning but that might have been a product of knowing and understanding planted tanks after years of building knowledge and then jumping into something that was new and foreign to me. Depending on your plant choices and setup, planted tanks can be a big challenge. Balancing nutrients in a high tech setup can be difficult.

No question that low light/low tech setups are much easier... But I like the challenge and the results when you get it right with high tech (see Brian's tank :)).

Ok need help. Just went to mothers house and she had an early Easter gift.

30 gallon acrylic tank
Bio wheel filter
40 pounds of black sand
AqueonPro 200 watt heater

I feel horrible as I told her the filter needs to different. She asked the guy at Petco and he said it was fine.

I have to tread lightly here guys/gals :(

I feel bad, she was so so happy. She wants angels. Now I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated as were on the way to Petco to return the filter.

Back
Top Bottom