convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cturner1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am going to get 4 convict cichlids around 5cm but i am wondering when i they pair up will they attack the other convicts:confused:

Most if not all egg laying cichlids will defend their nest/cave area from other fish. One way to cut down on the chances of the other fish getting hurt is to have a large enough tank with breaks in the line of sight.

So yes once a pair of convicts breed chances are the others will end up hurt or dead unless they are housed in a large enough tank with lots of cover . I have a pair of Thorichthys sp. "Gold Mixteco" that are about 4-6" and they will rule a whole 55.

i am going to get 4 convict cichlids around 5cm but i am wondering when i they pair up will they attack the other convicts:confused:

If they have territories and they have paired, if one comes in to the others territory it could cause a nasty fight

I'd consider only putting 2 they will pair. They will reek havoc on your other fish.
I had 2 pairs and the spawned at the same time on separate parts of my tank.
They killed my 6 inch oscar... And had everyone else at the surface to avoid their protection efforts.

Back
Top Bottom