Copperband Not Doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdesantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found that over the past two days, my copperband has started hanging out near the top rear corner of the tank, not swimming back and forth as usual. Tonight, he is really just hanging out at the top of the water, seems weak, and even got sucked to the filter intake once already tonight, any ideas what might be wrong with him? HELP PLEASE, he is a beautiful fish that I dont want to loose. Thanks in advance, salinity, ph etc is all on...

What are your water parameters? We will need specific numbers.
What were you feeding, how long have you had him?
I had one that I could not get to eat and once the aiptasia and feather dusters were gone, he starved.

water parameters

1.022 SG, 78degrees, ph 8.2, alkalinity 10dKH, no amonia or nitrites, nitrate 25ppm, phosphates undetectable, all other fish in tank are ok including O clown, green chromis', coral beauty angel, green emerald crab, and anenome...I guess its possible he is starving, I feed mysis and brine as well as chunks of formula 1, but he always up to two days ago was picking away at the rocks and sometimes eating the brine...

Have had a long day and need to get some sleep, hoping he makes it through the night, thanks for the reply so far.

My bet would be he ate all the available feathers and no longer has a natural food source. You can try adding garlic guard to your frozen to try to entice him into eating. They are finicky eaters and hard to keep. I tried the garlic and he would eat it, but it seemed he was more interested in the feathers and aiptasia.

Status update, He is still hanging in there, so I am going to try the garlic to have him hang on, and maybe try to get the the LFS to pick up something else for him to eat. I really appreciate your input. Thanks a million, I will update later on.

Roka64, thank you for your input earlier, sad news, he has passed on to the big aquarium in the sky...I have placed a small memorial in the center of my aquarium in his honor, a small bubble coral....

Copperbanded Butterfly fish are tough sometimes. Getting them to eat prepared foods is usually the biggest hurdle you will face. I got lucky with mine and it will eat frozen mysis. I've actually gotten him to eat right out of my hand. If you decide to get another make sure to have the LFS feed the fish in front of you before you buy it. You want to see the fish active and healthy. Lethargic or over active fish are not good options. The CBB should be inqusitive and interested in you when you walk to the tank. If the LFS feeds the fish and it actually eats the food they give buy some of that food.

Back
Top Bottom