Coralline's 20 gallon rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
I think you gave me a great idea. I'll give the sides more slope, like you did in your Fluval Chi. That may make the scape look a lot less flat. Right now my slope is mostly just front to back with little center-to-side slope.

Another thing... looking at my driftwood I can see at least 2 "cup" like areas in the wood that could easily hold enough gravel to actually grow plants in. Should I give it a shot and fill the spots with Eco Complete and a root tab, then plant some HC on the wood? Or would it be better to grow something different like dwarf 4-leaf clover in the wood cubbies?

I know! Ever since I re did that tank I love slopes! My 10 gallon is driving me nuts cuz it's too flat. I'm tempted to go buy some osmocote plus, black sand, and redo my 10 gallon today... Oi... I'm interested to see how yours turns out. Do you have extra substrate to add for the slopes?

I suppose you could try growing HC on the driftwood, it would look really cool! I'm pretty sure I've heard of it being done before. I've got a perfect cubby on one of my pieces in my 5 that I've been tempted to attach some anubias nana to, I'm just too lazy... Haha

Brian_Nano12g said:
Wow.. Looking good.. I really like this tank so far!

Thanks a ton Brian! It's still a work in progress ATM. I'll try and get more done today. Later today my brother is gonna come by to help out a bit.

Billbug68 said:
I know! Ever since I re did that tank I love slopes! My 10 gallon is driving me nuts cuz it's too flat. I'm tempted to go buy some osmocote plus, black sand, and redo my 10 gallon today... Oi... I'm interested to see how yours turns out. Do you have extra substrate to add for the slopes?

I suppose you could try growing HC on the driftwood, it would look really cool! I'm pretty sure I've heard of it being done before. I've got a perfect cubby on one of my pieces in my 5 that I've been tempted to attach some anubias nana to, I'm just too lazy... Haha

Sure do. I have a whole extra bag of Eco Complete still in the shipping box so changing the slopes should be no problem. Looking at the picks of your Chi made me realize how dramatic of a visual enhancement slopes really make. All the plants will need to be removed and replanted but they've only been in for a day so I'm thinking it's better to get it done now then later on.

I've seen HC grown like that (terraced) on rockscapes but I'd like to give it a shot on the wood just because it has the right shape. I'll post picks as soon as it's done.

Thanks a ton Brian! It's still a work in progress ATM. I'll try and get more done today. I'm really I'll today but my brother is gonna come by to help out a bit.

If that HC doesn't work well on the DW with EC as you anticipated, perhaps some Anubias would do as Billbug mentioned... However, instead of the Anubias Nana... Some Anubias Micro would be cool! I've been seeing a lot of buzz with A. Micro lately in TPT. And it's application looks pretty sweet IMO! I'm not sure if "Micro" is the same as "Petite" but both seem to be smaller than the Nana. I'm going to try to get some when I find it....LOL

Here are some examples:

Official Anubias Micro Thread!!! Please post your pics here!

The Lonely Mountain- Fish added

That micro looks perfect.

Well, I added about half a bag of Eco Complete to get some pretty dramatic slopes to both sides and the back. It's easily 5 1/2" high in some of the corners now. I removed and replanted lots of stuff. May have to tweak the driftwood but I got gravel and HC planted in 3 spots. It's a bit cloudy but I have a few pictures taken. When I get on the PC I'll see if any are clear enough for posting. It looks so so so much better. You couldn't have been more right about the effect of making dramatic slopes. The difference is huge. Thanks again for the advice. *bows* lol

Here's a trio of cloudy pics:

The first is right after adding the extra gravel but before planting.

Note: The light does not look like this in person. The strong "ray" effect is just from my lousy camera and the cloudiness from the fresh gravel.
60903-albums9520-picture45403.jpg

The second is right after I put most of the plants back (still have some floating around but my back!). You can sort of make out the bits of HC planted in the driftwood here. I took close-ups but they didn't come out.
60903-albums9520-picture45404.jpg

The third is of the left side so you can see how much more substrate I added to get the look I was after.
60903-albums9520-picture45405.jpg

Please let me know if the slopes work or not. :)

Brian_Nano12g said:
Looks great! I'm a big fan of slopes! Definitely adds more dimension :)

Thank you. It was definitely worth all the work. :)

Billbug68 said:
Looks amazing! Better than mine is turning out, I've got a TON of micro sword to clip runners and plant... I've been at this for hours now! :(

You're not kidding about the hours. I have a bunch of floaters that didn't make it into the substrate by the time my back gave out. All that bending over is murder. *sigh* Still, it's all worth in in the end.

I also had to plug up one of the holes in the driftwood to get it to hold the gravel so I could plant some HC.

I now realize that the gravel is so thick in the corners and the back that the small plants won't be able to reach the osmacote buried at the bottom. Gonna have to put some root tabs just deep enough for them to reach in those areas tomorrow.

I liked it before but it does look even better. Your right it adds alot more dimention to the tank. Be sure to post pic's when everything fill in, I think it's going to look awesome.

Yeah, my back was killing me and it was time to finally eat when I have up for the night. Still have a ton to plant, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow. I hope the osmocote helps in my tank. I think I'll finally get a good carpet once all the individual runners start to grow! Now I need to order my dry ferts.

Again, your tank looks amazing, can't wait to see that HC grow out!

callisto9 said:
OH YAY! Now to go back and actually read the thread. :lol:

Awesome tank. I love where it's going. :) Can't wait to see the progression.

Thanks so much! It's starting to come along, though my poor Brazilian pennywort looks beat up from the mail. I hope in time it recovers and starts to look more like yours. That's the plant I'm most excited about. Seeing your tank started this whole process for me. I'm getting great advice from people and it's really starting to show.

Jodisgermanshepherd said:
How long was your old scape up before you decided to redo your whole tank?

The tank has been up for about 4 or 5 years. I changed the original scape maybe 5 months ago but the substrate was old, filthy, and compacted by that point. It was time to redo the tank or risk suffering old tank syndrome. Most of my plants are 10 years old. Even though this tank is only 5 years old, it's tiring to watch the same plants grow for so long. Seeing so many great tanks from members here inspired me to make a change and go in a new direction with different plants, substrate and lighting.

Thanks so much! It's starting to come along, though my poor Brazilian pennywort looks beat up from the mail. I hope in time it recovers and starts to look more like yours. That's the plant I'm most excited about. Seeing your tank started this whole process for me. I'm getting great advice from people and it's really starting to show.

Mine was a little beat up in the mail, too. The leaves split pretty easily. It grows pretty fast, so I think all will end well. :)

Love the slope, wish I had done more of that on my tank. I think the PW will look good where Brian thought, my idea wad just on the other side in front, back would look good. I think your tank is going to look sweet once plants get settled and take off. Keep up posted on the progress!!

mohican said:
Love the slope, wish I had done more of that on my tank. I think the PW will look good where Brian thought, my idea wad just on the other side in front, back would look good. I think your tank is going to look sweet once plants get settled and take off. Keep up posted on the progress!!

Oh, so put the pennywort near the front left? I could throw out the Glossostigma and plant the four leaf clover and pennywort in the front left corner instead of the back right corner. That way all of my tall shade plants would be on the left, close to the driftwood and they wouldn't shade my HC as much. There would be a solid grove of HC in the center and right side of the tank and everything else would be on the left. Is that what you mean? I can definitely do that :) but I want to be certain that I understand what you mean.

Ugh. Somehow I ended up starting a new cycle. My ammonia was crazy high, nearly 4ppm. I did a 75% water change and got it down to about 1.5ppm. Going to do a couple of 40-50% changes tomorrow. I also added some Marineland white diamond ammonia removing media to the canister and a bit of Seachem Safe. I have some extra bio media in my quarantine tank's filter that I put there just in case something like this ever happened. I'll add it to the canister in a little bit. Hopefully they'll make it through the night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom