Coralline's 20 gallon rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jodisgermanshepherd said:
I'm glad to hear, are things leveling out?? Glad your fish are ok.

Not really. :( lol

I found out that the ammonia is from the Osmocote Plus I put in the bottom portion of my substrate. I've been doing three large PWCs a day to get the ammonia to hold around .5ppm.

Just to be certain that the Osmocote truly was to blame I put about a teaspoon in a plastic cup of water and let it sit overnight. Tested it this morning and the ammonia was off the API scale. It went from yellow to green to very dark green and finally settled on dark blue.

I still haven't lost anything yet but I'll try to catch my Eastern American newt and let him ride out the spike in the quarantine tank. He's surprisingly hard to catch!

Oh no!! I'm sorry.

It's okay. I certainly appreciate the concern. I'm taking it in stride as a learning experience and part of the hobby. Ordered a 50' Python today which will be here in a couple of days and will be a Godsend (should've gotten one years ago). No more hauling around 6 gallon water jugs. My doctor would kill me if he knew I've been doing that! >_<'

I did two 65% water changes today and my ammonia is between .25 and .5ppm so it's getting a tiny bit better. Nothing has died at all but it could always happen. I'd like to post a fresh pic but with all the PWCs it stays a little bit cloudy.

The pennywort is growing amazingly! It looked so bad when it came in. Lots of steady growth. The four leaf clover is also putting on new leaves.

Billbug68 said:
Mine keeps getting worse... 4ppm after my water changes and it went right back up to being off the charts... Time to do some more work...

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you think it's just a difference between the amount of fertilizer used?

CorallineAlgae said:
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you think it's just a difference between the amount of fertilizer used?

Could be, or it could be your substrate is absorbing more than my sand is... Just a theory. I just did 4 50%'s, lets see what it tests at now...

Edit: the 4 water changes just got me down to 2ppm... I'm out of Prime. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow and test again.

Softie Guy said:
I cannot wait to see the new pics! Glad you will finally do away with hauling buckets.

Thanks brother! It was past time to come to my senses. Some things really do make life better. When it comes to tanks... buckets are NOT one of them.

FREEDOM!!! lol

Buckets suck! We didn't have the Water Changer when we got the 220g and doing WC's was a new form of torture. Needless to say the water changer was bought pretty darn quick!

We bought a new faucet for the kitchen and there is no way to attach a python. I had to go back to hauling buckets. Or my partner did. LOL

I have the same issue with my kitchen sink. Thankfully the bathroom sink isn't much farther. I wanted mine to come in quick and Amazon only had free 2-day shipping (with prime) on the 25' so I got it and a 10' extension to reach. Those extensions really do work out. Kinda stunk that the 50' python takes 10 days to come in.

I couldn't use mine on the kitchen sink either and had to get the 50' one that would go from the tank to the bathroom sink.

Update 11 days after replanting my tank. The plants are already growing!

Full tank shot:
60903-albums9520-picture45872.jpg

A bit of HC growth already!
60903-albums9520-picture45870.jpg

Threw a couple of old anubias into a crack in the driftwood plus planted a few scrap pieces of HC where the wood could hold gravel.
60903-albums9520-picture45869.jpg

CorallineAlgae said:
Update 11 days after replanting my tank. The plants are already growing!

Full tank shot:

A bit of HC growth already!

Threw a couple of old anubias into a crack in the driftwood plus planted a few scrap pieces of HC where the wood could hold gravel.

Now you had to go and make me jealous, didn't you??? Haha

Looks great! Cool to see the HC already filling in!

Thanks guys. It's probably going to be a couple of months before it really starts to fill in and look like a real planted tank. I can't wait for the red tiger lotus to come up. It's putting out roots so maybe it won't be to much longer. Hard to believe I was outside painting the back less than 2 weeks ago.

I followed Rivercats advice and put a bit of four leaf clover along some of the edges of the wood but it's just starting to grow a bit. Hopefully it'll come together when all the hidden plants start to show up.

Edit: I just noticed that you can see the newt in the front left corner of the first pic.

callisto9 said:
It looks great! I love it. (y)

Thank you! You were definitely right about the pennywort. Even though it looked beat up when it arrived it bounced back right away. Now I'm waiting on the red tiger lotus to put on leaves and add a bit of color to the scene. Next step will be getting a few red cherry shrimp. Oh yeah!

The wood was blocking a lot of light in the back left side so I added a small 10 watt LED just to get light right to that spot. Also moved the 20 watt LED about 2 inches to the right. Hopefully it won't be to strong. Everything was already growing very fast everywhere. I mostly wanted to see if it would make a difference.

60903-albums9520-picture45896.jpg

Back
Top Bottom