Corals to stalk??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theyoungaquariest

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im getting a 14 gallon bio cube and I was wondering what soft corals I should stalk it with....any suggestions????

Mushrooms, zoanthids, and leathers would be a good start and they come in a wide variety of colors as well. I think the Biocube comes with power compact lighting which would work fine with the softies.

And by the way, it's "stock" not "stalk", just so ya know. :)

Welcome to AA!

Last edited:
Lindsay gave you some good ones. I would add that button polyps and yellow polyps would be good also.

ok thanks, I went to LFS and they reccomended similar soft corals to me as well....thank you!!!

nope but im thinking about getting it but im not 100% percent sure it would be worth for my 14 gallon tank.

I`m thinking that your tank will be too small for MH`s. It`s not deep enough. VHO`s, T5`s and PC`s would work fine in that size tank.

speaking of lighting, i plan to put some mushrooms in my tank, i got a 24IN SATELLITE 1X65W SUNPAQ W/ LUNAR LT, i just finished setting it up and the fan on it is loud, is there anyway to quiet the fan? i unplugged the fan for a few minutes but then the ballast started to get hot so i turned it back on. real shame thats its loud as its in my bedroom. but at least it will be off during the night.

my tank is a 20 gal. tall, would i be able to put LPS corals in the tank w/ the current lighting system?

i want to grow only either Galaxea or Glove Polyp, i would like to let the corals grow wild through out the tank so i would only like 1 or 2 different types of coral.

Check to see if it's a standard computer type fan, and look for a "stealth" or "quiet" replacement. Other fan quieting tips from the PC world:

Use a rubber gasket between fan and mounting to cut down on vibration.
Use a speed control switch to run the fan at the minimal speed needed to maintain temp.

3 WPG is enough for some of the low maintenance corals. Button polyps and mushrooms and the like...

I'm more of an engineer than biologist though, you might get a second opinion.

well thats good enough for me, ill throw in some lps sps and some softies in there and see how they do

i guess if a stony coral ever dies you wont be able to tell right?

They're stony on the inside. There's soft colorful parts on the outside. The living part builds that stony skeleton as the colony grows.

well thats good enough for me, ill throw in some lps sps and some softies in there and see how they do

i guess if a stony coral ever dies you wont be able to tell right?

If you do sps with that fixture, you're probably better off just donating your money to a charity of your choice.

As dskidmore mentioned, sps and lps corals (both considered stony) are quite beautiful alive. It will be painfully obvious when one dies. I'd do a bit of research on coral care before just throwing some in there and seeing how they do.

this whole lighting thing is confusing, some say to go wattage per gallon, some say thats not the way to do it because of different types of bulbs.

i think ill start off w/ some polyps, has anyone ever ordered corals from drs. foster and smith?

i have two lights on my tank, an 18 watt 50/50 light that i turn on for a while in the morning, then later the 65 watt 10k/actinic, then back to the 50/50 then the moon light at night.

be great if a fixture had a timer built in a slowly turned on lights on and off to automatically simulate day.

also do you think id have to worry about the polyp such as a yellow polyp i saw at the store stinging my damsel fish?

i dont want anything to happen to him he's still a baby.

Back
Top Bottom