Corals to stalk??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yellow polyps (parazoanthus sp.) are incapable of harming a small damsel or any other type of fish via stinging. Perhaps what you saw was something completely different?

Most corals pose little harm to fish, though there are indeed some corals capable of consuming fish.

no i was just reading about how the yellow polyp can sting, it didnt say anything about fish, i just thought fish and sting dont go to well together,

i dont know what my emerald crab eats, i see him pick at my rock sometimes, i place seaweed banded to a rock and it is gone after a while, i dont know its eating it but if there is seaweed, would be prefer my polyps? i dont have much algae for him to eat and he has not touched my macro.

this whole lighting thing is confusing, some say to go wattage per gallon, some say thats not the way to do it because of different types of bulbs.
WPG is a rather imprecise measurement, but we don't really have a better one, short of getting an expensive waterproof lumen meeter and spectrometer and actually finding out what light is getting to the bottom of the tank. The rules hold fairly well for T5, compact florescent, and MH bulbs, as they have similar power to lumens efficiency. The rules do break however for very large or very small tanks or for incandescent, T8 or T12 bulbs.

be great if a fixture had a timer built in a slowly turned on lights on and off to automatically simulate day.
They do exist, although they are a bit pricey. The Ice Cap florescent ballast is dimmable, but I think it requires a second unit to control that.

so right now i removed the cover i had on my tank and installed the legs to my compact fixture, the setup looks alot better but i wont be able to also use the 18 watt fixture as it doesnt have legs.

i have some yellow plyps in the the tank , they have been in there for a few days now, i used a syringe to spot feed the polyps brine shrimp which i can later faintly see inside the tube body of the polyp.

so right now on an 13-1/2 inches of total water level, i have a 65watt compact light w/ reflector, 10k and 420nm

im guessing i should get more light for an stony corals.

would another of the same fixture suffice ( 1x65 watt pc 50/50 ) or a 70-150 watt MH light.

the price difference is dramatic.

here is are my polyps in the main tank, full tank shot and my fuge.

img_892247_0_6f52603c13cc89a49bf27528843fb72e.
img_892247_1_9a2f7cef928d28f5a44de1d858e4df54.jpg
img_892247_2_4c10a0904b671ce50ac72bcbeed8732f.jpg
img_892247_3_a64f763b5c94441491224d3be5daad48.jpg

im leaning more to getting another of the same light system i currently have to give me a total of 130 watts of pc power

That will put you in the 9 WPG range.

I have not heard this discussed much in SW discussions, but in FW the WPG rules kind of break down with small tanks, so I'd be cautious about the highest end corals under that light, but it should give you more options than you had before.

Some folks believe MH is inherently better than florecent, while others run perfectly nice reefs under T5 or PC lights. Florecent is more energy efficient than MH and cheaper to purchase as well. It does lack the foccused beam of a MH light, which brings out light and shadow more in the tank, giving an appearance of greater brightness. It's a personal choice in my opinion.

In my 14Gal Biocube I have a Leather Toadstool Coral, Kenyan Tree Coral, Purple Tip Anemone, Pulsing Xenia, Ricordea Mushroom, Bullseye Mushroom Coral, and Hammerhead Coral. All of them are doing fine. The Pulsing Xenia is spreading like wild fire!

Back
Top Bottom