Corydoras Paleatus, breeding Corydoradinae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J.Mcpeak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by Jamie McPeak.

Corydoras Paleatus

Synonyms: No known alternatives

Common Names: Peppered Cory.

Category: Species, Armoured Catfish

Family: Callichthyidae, subfamily Corydoradinae

Origin: South America: SE Brazil

Main Ecosystem: River, La Plata

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperament: Friendly, Peaceful, schooling.

Diet: Omnivore, plant safe. Catfish pellets (sinking), algae wafers, flake, carnivore pellets, bloodworm.

Care: Corydoras sp. are a social species, more is better 6+ 90cm/36in tank min. for C. Paleatus.
They need sand as a substrate this is essential, which must be clean. The barbels are prone to bacteria and will eventually wear down on large stones as they try to root through it. This fish is a scavenger and sand sifter with similar behaviour to goby species. They will adequately sift through sand preventing stagnation providing it is not too deep <15mm/0.6inch. Ideal for planted tanks. This species including all in its subfamily must be allowed to surface for air. Typical to the subfamily, dorsal fin carries a spine which can deliver a sting similar to a nettle or bee.

pH: 6-7

Temperature: 20-24'C 68-75'F

Hardness: 6-12'dH

Potential size: 7cm, males smaller.

Water Region: Demersal. Bottom, however species is not shy.

Activity: Diurnal (active during daylight)

Lifespan: 4-6 Years

Color: Light sand, dark brown patches and spots, green iridescence all over, sand to white underside.

Mouth: Subterminal, downward pointing with barbels

Sexing: Males smaller to 5cm, females much larger and bulkier through the pectoral region.

Acclimation: Hardy fish, allow temperature to acclimate.

Breeding:

Add a large amount of water @ 17 C' approx 62 F'
Works every time.
It replicates the rainy season in the amazon, let the ph down with the new water, rain is pure, pH 6 will be fine.

You can use this method every 6 weeks, allow females time to recover.

Move to a spawning tank first, after eggs have been laid return stock to main system. 20-50 fry per female is not unusual. Expect a few runts. Deal with these accordingly.

The fish will adopt the T position (see attachment, male to the right) after the females stop receiving milt the male can be removed, the female will clean any area before carefully placing the fertilised, adhesive eggs with her cupped ventral fins. No observed egg or brood care. Egg size approx <3mm/0.12in.

Allow plenty of tanks to break the fry out into.

3 off, 60x30x30cm 2x1x1Ft will be fine for most broods per female.

This works for most if not all corydoras sp.

You will need liquifry or similar food for egg layers.

The eggs will drop after 3-5 days. Start feed at this time, after two weeks you will see the fry, before this time look closely you will see small flecks like glass shooting up and down, allow for the fact these fish take oxygen gulps from the surface.

After about 15 days from initial deposit of eggs you can begin feeding larger food stuffs. Sinking catfish pellets ground in a pestle and mortar to fine dust will be ok. Once the fish reach 1inch 2.5cm treat as adult fish.

An open ended airline is sufficient filtration until adult stage.

Monitor water, for changes, syphon slowly from the uppermost portion of the fry tanks.

Sources: Baensch et al, Dr Carrington, A Excell, Dr Andrews, G Sandford,
J McPeak.

Note:The use of copyrighted material is protected by law.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 720
9th Dec. 2013 11:55 A.M.

Finally got the picture!
Female Corydoras paleatus clasping fertilized eggs, ready for placement.

This is happening now.

Full set will appear on Flickr. See, my fishes and fish house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 339

mmmmm interesting! Never heard of toxins being given off by corys and I would have thought someone would have investigated and isolated the toxins, given the vast numbers of corys that are transported.

We occasionally have problems with imported corydoras, but that's usually ammonia in the bag water.

My take on this would be that the fish over produce normal body mucus during periods of high stress/shock and basically suffocate - which to me would explain why they recover well when released back to well oxygenated water.

I would have thoguht the needle sharp pectoral fin rays were defence enough! They come bloody sharp :D

I will keep an open mind though, so if any hard evidence comes to the fore, let me know

As far as literature goes, Ian fuller is pretty much the leading UK name in catfish and Corydoras. Much like Scott W Michael is the name in reefs.

It is well documented.
I don't know of a specific name other than "corydoras toxin"
I'm not sure how you would test for it specifically?

Interesting. I'll have to wait til it happens to some of ours :D I reckon we have less problems with paleatus than any other corys

I suppose it would be like testing snake venom? Identifying protein chains and all that??? Not a clue.

J. Mcpeak what would be a good breeding light schedule. How many hours light and dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I made no measure of the photoperiod. I'm not sure it'll make a difference? The fish have laid eggs in almost every set up I've had, everything from a fully planted community to the simplest isolation tank. Fry appeared in all set ups. Predation is more of a concern in every set up. No adult fish of any species, but even in a community it's possible to see fry for a short time.

My illuminated tanks run 6-10 hrs lights on.
More if I NEED algae, less for low light plants.
If I make a point to isolate adult fish there are no lights on the breeding tank(s).

Natural with sunrise/set.

Back
Top Bottom