Could I move my betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My betta is in a 2.5 gallon. It has a filter and everything and he has been living in it for about 6 months (it's been 6 months since I got him.) He looks very happy but I thought about moving him to my 40 gallon community. My 40 gallon has:

5 platys
6 neons
7 danios (currently 2 at the moment since the other 5 are in my spawning tank)
1 German blue ram

Is it possible? I am mainly concerned about he ram and the betta but I think the betta would be overjoyed if I surprised him with a nice 40 gallon!

Also it's a 40 gallon so I'm not worried about the space for the betta that much

My betta is in a 2.5 gallon. It has a filter and everything and he has been living in it for about 6 months (it's been 6 months since I got him.) He looks very happy but I thought about moving him to my 40 gallon community. My 40 gallon has:

5 platys
6 neons
1 German blue ram

Is it possible? I am mainly concerned about he ram and the betta but I think the betta would be overjoyed if I surprised him with a nice 40 gallon!
Rams are usually known for an unpredictable temperament. I wouldn't suggest a betta with any cichlid, though it might work, the betta has nothing on a gbr. 40 gallons isn't too much. The only way to determine would be to put them together and see, though I don't recommend it.

Rams are usually known for an unpredictable temperament. I wouldn't suggest a betta with any cichlid, though it might work, the betta has nothing on a gbr. 40 gallons isn't too much. The only way to determine would be to put them together and see, though I don't recommend it.

I too don't recommend it. My betta is in a 10g tank with 4 tetra, which are fast swimmers, and two corys, which are also fast. There are plenty of plants so the can get away if they need to. Neons are very colorful, which attracts the bettas. My ram is in a 20 g with others, but is colorful and very territorial. He's be after anything that tries to stand up to him. I have seen betta stand up to a Jack Dempsy, the betta didn't win. No, I wouldn't do it.

The only way to know if your betta will do good in the community is to put him in. Acclimate properly, than watch the tank like crazy. If the betta seems to be behaving aggressively, move him out. But if it works out he'll love all the space!

The only way to know if your betta will do good in the community is to put him in. Acclimate properly, than watch the tank like crazy. If the betta seems to be behaving aggressively, move him out. But if it works out he'll love all the space!
Actually, its the ram that will be aggressive, not the betta.

5 platys
6 neons
1 German blue ram

I wouldn't do it because she/he has only been in a 2.5 gallon tank you should put it in a 5 gallon then 10 gallon etc.But add more fish each time

Last edited:
I know of some people who have bettas with rams. I would do it if I didn't have gold barbs, I don't know how well that would go over.

Don't do it. I tried a female betta with my pair of rams and at first the rams were harassing her. Well she gained confidence and started chasing them around. I don't think it's a good idea.

Don't do it. I tried a female betta with my pair of rams and at first the rams were harassing her. Well she gained confidence and started chasing them around. I don't think it's a good idea.
Its all about the fish's personality. It varies from one to another.

Another thing to think about is Danios are long fin nippers and that might upset the betta. But it's all about the fish's personality so it might work, the only way to find out is stick him in there and closely watch them.

You could try it. I have my double tail in with a school of white cloud mountain minnows, a ryukin goldie, and 2 dojo loaches. He does just fine, but hes a mellow betta, and the minnows dont bother him.
Now, before anyone bashes me, this is only a temporary home for him. The ambient room temp keeps the tank at about 75-76 naturally during this time of year (lower in the winter of course), and he will be going into a planted 5 gallon project I am working on. Right now, his temp home is a big step up from the vase with a bamboo my cousin had him in.

I wouldn't try it if you want to get your betta a bigger tank than that is ok but at the possible cost of his LIFE. they may not fight for the first little bit but they are bound to fight by their nature so I wouldn't try it. but if you want to do it than I can't stop you. but I will tell you it is a terribe idea and I don't know why other people are telling you to try this...

I wouldn't try it if you want to get your betta a bigger tank than that is ok but at the possible cost of his LIFE. they may not fight for the first little bit but they are bound to fight by their nature so I wouldn't try it. but if you want to do it than I can't stop you. but I will tell you it is a terribe idea and I don't know why other people are telling you to try this...

But you are aware that bettas are compatible with many fish? I'm probably not gonna risk it though

yes I'm aware that they are compatible with any fish but they aren't compatible with other agressive fish...

Back
Top Bottom