Could my DIY Co2 mix be the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
No co2 is coming out of my airline -- This is m second mixture, the first one worked great (although i didn't have a diffuser at the time, bubbles still flowed freely)

I put ~2.5 cups of sugar and 1 teaspoon of yeast, 1.5L of water (in a 2L btw). Still after a day there are no bubbles! Is this the wrong mix?

Last time I put in similar amounts (I can't remember exactly what amounts i put but I also put in some baking soda, is this necessary?)

I think it could also be a leak.

What are your thoughts?

First I think it could be a leak. Sometimes it depends on how warm your water was when you mixed it up or possibly how warm your room is. I don't use baking soda, some people do.

You know, I have the same issue and it is driving me nuts. I have two 2L going into a 20oz that has water to act as a bubble counter/separator. The first mix was smoking! Plenty of bubbles, everything was great.

Then came time for the 2nd mixing. I've tried 3 different times and I can't get anything to work. Each time I would wait 3 days or more and still no bubbles. I would activate the yeast in tepid water, see bubbles, then add it to cool water/sugar (2 cups sugar and water up to the curve in the bottle) and nothing happens. I've tried mixes with baking soda, without, everything I can think of. I also re-did my seals to get rid of leaks. My last straw is I ordered some things from tower hobbies that should have a tight seal instead of the silicone.

Post here if you get your's to work, I'd like to know how. My mixtures just look dead and I can't figure it out.

I'm just starting with planted aquariums and am testing things out with a 10 gallon. Made my DIY Co2 by the specs given at this website DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium, seems helpful and gives some different recipes for Co2. Just made a mixture(on a smaller scale) to test my DIY Co2 to make sure there are no leaks before I set up my Aquarium.
img_964323_0_5402064d63a0769f1058406316695182.jpg

yup that will id any leaks quick.

Weird that there are so many having issues with it. I guess I got lucky with my system 'cause it worked like a champ all the time.

leaks will definately throw you off. i was getting co2 in my tank at one point but no bubbles in my bubble counter. i was drunk and it took me like 3 hours to figure it out. another time i had a small leak on top of my 2 liter and if i shook the bottle i would get bubbles all the way to the tank. but if i let the system alone, the pressure would build up slowly and leak out before it reached my bubble counter.

UHHHHHHGHG I can't seal this leak. How annoying. Going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow morning too! Oh Well. Guess my tank will rot for a week then I'll tackle it again...

Well I have a rhinox 1000 I ordered from aquatic magic -- will my DIY co2 even work with this?

The setup I planned on using was just:
2L -- > check valve ---> rhinox.

My problem was that i was trying to seal the little airline connected to the bottle cap but all I had was hot glue. co2 just kept finding it's way out.

I don't know, but my guess would be yes, so long as the system doesn't have leaks in it.

Back
Top Bottom