Couldn't help myself, bought a giant feather duster **pics**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im not going to get in to trouble here am I? He is currently acclimating. Its only been about 20 minutes with a drip. How long should I keep this up? And I was thinking the best place for him would be in the sand. Does that sound right? I am going to try and get some pics :D

I would acclimate him for not less than an hour. And, placing it on the sand would be ok. That's where I keep mine.

Here are the pics. I acclimated for just over an hour. I can't reach the bottom of the tank so I dug a hole, lowered him, and covered him up with my algae scraper. He isn't facing front like I would like, but Im not going to bother with that now. It took him all of about 2 minutes to open up. I hope thats a good sign.

Nice, I am going to get one too, I'm waiting I don't like to add to much at once. I added a crab and will be adding another this weekend so I'll hold out. But, I definitely want one.

I got a couple of those last week. They are pretty cool to watch. I got one that is a darker brown color like yours, and one that is really light.

Nice featehr duster! I keep telling myself I need to get one, maybe this will motivate me...

I have had a couple of these for awhile.

Don't be suprised the "feathers" come off in the next week or so. All of mine have done this at least once. When it first happened, I thought maybe my emarald crabs had pinched the head off and so I disposed of it. When the some thing happened to my second one after removing the emerald crab, I decided to just watch it for a while, and about a week later, the "feathers" came back.

The are really neat, and add a lot of interest to the tank.

Thanks :D I will watch for that. I really love this thing. It rotates around alot. Its really neat to see the feathers spin around. Is that a normal thing for it to do?

Try to get it where you want it before it attaches. We put ours in and held it down with a piece of lr. Now he's attached to the rock and can't be moved to a more convenient place.

I have one and I accidentally sucked him out of the tank while doing a water change. Not once, but TWICE! :oops:

He came through the ordeal just fine both times, seems to be a very hearty creature.

I have 2 of these, yes it's normal for them to rotate around. They usually blow their crown (feathers) due to stress, but they do need to grow new ones some times, so it's not always stress. But I wouldn't move him around, this does cause stress. He looks great, the only thing I saw in the picture was the sand seems awful close to the top of it's tube, you might want to back the sand down alittle so just alittle of the top of his tube sticks out of the sand (you don't want sand getting into his tube from his moving and retracting). Good luck with the new baby!

I had one of those and for some reason my puffer thought it was food, the whole thing was eaten then puked up!!! Needless to say i no longer have one but very cool while i had it

I have one that is recouperating in my sump. It has been in there for quite some time now. It came out of my display when I had my butterflyfish... i didnt know that they thought it was good food.... eek...

Oh well it will probably go back up to the display in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom