Couple o Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. We just got back from 10 days of being out of town, and noticed our two Pleco's were missing from our African Cichlid tank. Our petsitters didn't notice anything unusual, and fed our fish every other day. A little later, I found two Pleco skeletons at the bottom of the tank! What would make our cichlids (or the spotted cat) eat our two plecos? Did they both get sick and die possibly and then just get eaten?

2. Why is it that when I crank up our heaters to 82F or so, the water is always around 75-78? I bought the heaters recommended for the size of tanks, but they both never get up to what temperature we set them at. Do I need a 2nd heater? While we were gone, the African Cichlid tank got down to 65F and our petsitters had to turn the heat up in the house to get the temp back up! Our heaters are set at over 80F! We have a 65 gal and a 20 gal. The 65 gal has a 300w heater and the 20 gal a 100w.

for the first question, i am not too sure. Pleco's and cichlids are a common thing to put together. Unless your plecos came too close to cichlid parents guarding some stash of eggs then that MAY set them off. other then that i am out of ideas.

For the second question, i am jsut wondering if you have the air conditioner running at all or constantly (or if it is really cool outside, if your tanks are near windows it may cool them down). Also, it depends on what type of thermometer you have. If it is a digital readout one that sticks to the side of your tank then they MAY be broken OR they could be possitioned in the wrong spot. For your 65 gallon one i recommend having 2 thermometers on them to get a more acurate reading on your tank. For the 65 Gallon tank i would definately get a second heater. It will regulate the heat of the tank a lot better and if it happens that your first heater has gone wonky, then it would definately be in your best interest to invest in one.

HTH
Cheers

African Cichlid tank got down to 65F and our petsitters had to turn the heat up in the house
The recomended heater 5 watts per gallon is for tanks kept in room temperature. when you buy some new heaters, The instructions have a chart in them that tells you the increase in temp the heater can give for various size tanks.
for example, plus X degrees for a Y size tank. For the tank to get down to 65 degrees, your house must have been that temp or lower. Is it that cold in Houston?
If the room the tanks are in is cold, perhaps the heaters could not deliver the required heat or they are going bad. If the rooms are not cold (ie:70 f) and the heaters are having trouble keeping the tank warm, they are either going bad or are too small. HTH

You may also have a broken heater. I have also noticed that in our 55 gal we set the heater at 84 and it heats it to 78.

russrimm said:
1. Our petsitters didn't notice anything unusual, and fed our fish every other day

Did they really feed them? Or maybe not enough? 10 Days is a long time not to have a meal. I can see a pleco looking better and better every day.

Back
Top Bottom