Crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to make a paludarium (land/water) tank. It is a 29 gallon tank. I want to have different species of crabs and so far I was thinking of 3 vampire crabs, 3 mandarin crabs, and 3 white arm Borneo crabs. I would love advice on these species and suggestions on others!

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I want to make a paludarium (land/water) tank. It is a 29 gallon tank. I want to have different species of crabs and so far I was thinking of 3 vampire crabs, 3 mandarin crabs, and 3 white arm Borneo crabs. I would love advice on these species and suggestions on others!

Thank you!!

Crabs are typically very territorial. They will live with others like themselves but when you mix different species you're asking for territory issues and feeding issues. I'd recommend sticking to one species and keeping just them rather than trying to force these different crabs to live with one another in a relatively small space.

Vampire crabs are usually imported from the wild. It's not a very good industry to support in my opinion because it's dwindling the population of wild crabs and altering their environment. Also..they come with the risk of carrying diseases and parasites and spreading it to the rest of the tank.

Whichever species you do choose to go with you'll want to get the right male to female ratio or you'll end up with just crabs fighting each other and killing each other off.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Great advice thank you

Does anyone know of a crab species not taken from the wild?

Does anyone know of a crab species not taken from the wild?

The mandarin and white arms breed pretty readily in home aquaria so you'd have a much better chance at those being captive bred.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nigel, that makes me so sad about the dwindling populations of vamp crabs. Today I visited my LFS and they told me that they could order them and told them all about what's happening their natural population. I hope people are fighting to help that species! I'll look into those two captive bred species!

Also, I want to put dwarf Mexican crays in the water area, so if I went with a species that needed brackish water, could the dwarf crays handle a slight salinity?

Back
Top Bottom