Crappy Cardinals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy folks:

I have been searching for a month and a half for cardinal tetras to add to my well planted 10g. I asked around and apparently there have been probs with the current cardinal stock; pretty unhealthy with poor survival rates. But I'm stubborn LOL so I HAD to have some.

This past Saturday I discovered some at the decent lfs. I grabbed 5 and crossed my fingers (along with a wood/bamboo shrimp and 2 otos).

Sunday morning one cardinal was dead; this morning another. My parameters are really good: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10ppm nitrates. Water temp is 80-81f. They were acclimated over an hour both to temp and tank water parameters. The first nite one was not schooling with the others so I did wonder if it was ok, but no other signs of illness. The second looked fine when I went to sleep last nite, schooling, eating and no unusual marks or behaviors. The otos and the shrimp appear fine.

I don't know what to do (the 2 dead will go back to the lfs and I guess I'll replace them...if things are that bad with the cardinal stock now or later won't make a huge difference I'm thinking). I'm wondering if there is anything I CAN do for them. Its hard to medicate when there are no symptoms, but I don't know what else to do to give these guys a chance. Thank god they're in the QT tank and not in the main tank...

There may be a problem with cardinals, because when I looked into getting more, they were $22 for four. I had the same problem with the first three I lost, they would go off on their own and then die shortly thereafter. This was shortly after I purchased them and there were no signs of illness. However, nine lasted eight months. Then that stupid ich that I introduced by not qt'ing killed all but 1. Additionally, cardinals reportedly have a life span of only two years.

Alli, I asked the LFS I went to on Thursday about cardinals too. I wanted to know if they'd do well in our water. He said they would probably do well in the tank with my rams since I was mixing RO water, but he told me to wait until he got a better batch. He showed me how the ones he had were starting to deteriorate already.

I live way across the country from you, but maybe there's just some bad stock of cardinal tetras being shipped around right now.

Sorry about your fish. :(

Feh. Another one keeled over yesterday. I should have waited longer to get the cardinals, but patience ain't my virtue *grin* I had heard the same thing Madame_X, but had hoped since they showed up at the lfs, the problem was past. I'm guessing not huh...

Now what to do. Assuming the remaining 2 survive, I have no where NEAR enough for a school. Do I chance replacing them? I'm wondering if I should look into regular neons instead; don't know if they are having the same issues. Really wanted cardinals tho *sigh* Keep your fingers crossed whatever is killing those cardinals leaves the otos and bamboo shrimp alone; they're all in QT together...

Allivymar, this might sound a stupid question but are the Parameters in you local fish store anything like yours, It could be shock. I know you are a perfectionist when it comes to your water, but a drastic change in water will cause a shock even if your water is better. This is only a possibility i could be totally wrong.

Now what to do. Assuming the remaining 2 survive, I have no where NEAR enough for a school. Do I chance replacing them? I'm wondering if I should look into regular neons instead; don't know if they are having the same issues.

I have read in multiple places that cardinals will school with other tetras...perhaps you could get a few different, readily available tetras until your local supply improves. Another option is to call around and see if anyone has "tank-raised" cardinals--most cardinals are still caught in the wild and tend to be delicate, tank-raised are usually a bit hardier. The reason they are so hard to find is that they do have very poor survival rates. When I got mine, they were put in a well established 30 gallon, and I used distilled and R/O water in the water changes. :cry: They'd still be alive today if I wasn't so stupid and used a QT tank.

I'll check with em Terry about parameters; I sorta doubt thats the prob tho. I've bought clown loaches, angels, that bamboo shrimp, gouramis and the cardinals and everyone cept the cardinals did very well (and continue too!). I did acclimate them to my tank; 1 hour in the lfs bag floating in the tank, and every 10-15 mins I added some tank water until the amount was more then doubled. I really think its a matter of stock; I just was impatient as the tank has been waiting for cardinals for what seems like forever LOL But one never knows, and a phone call is cheap n easy :)

I LOVE the idea of finding local tank raised cardinals shaw, but how do I do that?? There are no tropical fish clubs/groups in the area; I've been searching for months. Who would I contact? I haven't the vaguest idea where to begin...I doubt the lfs would hook me up LOL as it means they lose the sale LOL Anyone else have any ideas? I could go with other tetras, I just really wanted the cardinals as they fit my color scheme LOL

I LOVE the idea of finding local tank raised cardinals shaw, but how do I do that?? There are no tropical fish clubs/groups in the area; I've been searching for months. Who would I contact?

They will say tank raised, because it is a very desirable trait. Unfortunately, because they are so rarely raised in captivity, expect to pay a premium. The one lfs that has them charges $22 for four, which was just too much for me and started me on a different tank. LOL...you could always drive to MD to get them! It's only about 4 hours from the city!

Heh figure 5 hrs for me since I'm just north of the city...think they'd survive a 5 hr car ride with ME drivin? *grin* Poor things LOL they'd prob have a heart attack LONG before the ammonia levels became a prob.

Do have a thought tho...does the place you got yours ship? I realise $5 and change for a cardinal is ridiculous; at the same time I REALLY want em LOL Or does anyone else know of a place that ships tank bred cardinals (and guarantees em of course).

Do have a thought tho...does the place you got yours ship? I realise $5 and change for a cardinal is ridiculous; at the same time I REALLY want em LOL Or does anyone else know of a place that ships tank bred cardinals (and guarantees em of course).
I'm sure some online places would ship them to you, but again, you'll be paying a lot for a little.

Cardinals

Hi Allivimar, I am on the west coast of Canada and cannot get any cardinals from anyof my fish suppliers. They just aren't shipping them right now because of the problems everyone has been mentioning. IF the ones you can get are local tank bred I would go for it (even at 5$ plus shipping) I understand it could be many more months before good cardinals are again available. And yes Neons will school with cardinals and vica Verca. There does not seem to be any problems with current stock of Neons.

Maybe my post wont help at all but theres something I Goss to say about them. I live in mexico and here (As in all parts of the world), we have LFS, but theres something called fish market where you can find everything at the lowest prices.
I dont know how shipping is made or so but to me, they are very VERY delicate fish, i went to my LFS to ask about them and the owner adviced me not to buy them until I became an expert. The thing is theyre very very delicate due to the conditions where they come from. From what i know they come from south america and they inhabit the lowest and darkest part of the rivers from Colombia and surrounding countries. So IMO you should have well lit places and very dark places for them to hide but big enough for them to school. Im planning on getting some but i think its best to save money (here a standard 10 gal tank with lamp costs like 20 bucks) and making a special habitat for them.

Back
Top Bottom