Crayfish with Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of large New World ciichlids depend on crayfish as a staple food source. So in that respect mixing crayfish with, for example, Midas, Oscar or Texas Cichlids, not a good idea. I'm sure it would be an interesting display mixing crayfish with agile mid sized cichlids such as a Blue Acara or Firemouth.

And crayfish will eat smaller fish like rams etc, catch them while they're sleeping. Usually why crays are recommended is species only or with fish who won't swim/rest anywhere near the bottom of the tank

That crayfish will hunt non stop all night long.. it's just a matter of time imo...

I see. Actually its been over a month and he didn't show any interest in cichlids. According to LFS cichlids are good with crayfish because they are very fast and active. But now I think I need to isolate him to prevent any mishap. I have small African cichlids only. Nothing big. But its better to be safe than sorry. I have a separate ten gallon which is not in use but again question is that ten gallon is too small for him. Will see.

You had posted a video but not really said anything about the keeping of them together. That is why I wondered if you had a positive experience or were saying not to do it.

You have clarified your thoughts. I was just wondering. At one time I kept a white Cray with my mixed tropical tank and didn't really have any problem, a friend had a Blue with a semi aggressive tank and he kept to his little cave and territory enjoying his Hikari wafers. Mine traveled all over the tank.

You had posted a video but not really said anything about the keeping of them together. That is why I wondered if you had a positive experience or were saying not to do it.

You have clarified your thoughts. I was just wondering. At one time I kept a white Cray with my mixed tropical tank and didn't really have any problem, a friend had a Blue with a semi aggressive tank and he kept to his little cave and territory enjoying his Hikari wafers. Mine traveled all over the tank.
Thanks for the reply. My experience going good. I again called LFS and he said crayfish won't prey if he is being feeding good and the crayfish they sell they always keep with fast moving fish like cichlids so they get use to see fish around always. Mine mind his own business and no matter where he is when I drop the waffer he comes out and eat and hang around and went to his home. However I rehome him in single tank because of his temperature requirements. I read he needs very cold water. So I like to keep him in water he love. He can survive warm or normal waters too but I wanna give him his soft spot.

Back
Top Bottom