curious beta behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajungrl81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The beta in question has since gone to the great fishbowl in the sky, but while he was living exhibited some odd behavior that no one I spoke to could ever explain. I'm still looking for answers...

Background: My sister brought him home in one of those little fish cups, and transferred him temporarily to a cycled 1g where he was the only fish while waiting on a larger tank to finish cycling. I thought he'd be much happier as the only fish in a heated, planted 5g...but he freaked out. Turning out the lights calmed him down, but as soon as the hood light came on again he would start flinging himself at the side of the aquarium until we were worried he'd hurt himself. He never exhibited this behavior in the 1g, nor when it was just the ambient lights in the room turned on, only the hood lights. I've never, in the 20+ years I've lived with aquariums, seen a fish behave this way. And despite this, he seemed healthy, survived a cross-country move, and lived to be almost 5yo. The only response the lady at the local LFS could give us was that my sister must have gotten a defective/psycho fish?!

What could possibly cause such behavior (none of the other betas we've ever had behaved this way? And what can be done to help a fish in those circumstances, since keeping a fish in the dark really isn't an answer?

Odd - he wasn't chasing his reflection or anything?

We'd considered that. But then wouldn't he have exhibited the same behavior in either aquarium? He only started doing this after we transferred him to the larger one:confused:

I've never seen that type of behavior before, but my betta is in a 5 gallon with a few plants and no lights except what comes through the windows in my apt and he is very healthy. So it is possible to keep bettas with no light if you get another one that behaves that way.

We'd considered that. But then wouldn't he have exhibited the same behavior in either aquarium? He only started doing this after we transferred him to the larger one:confused:

Possible, I was just thinking different tank position vs lighting or something. My neighbour had a rainbow shark that for some reason went flat out into the tank wall. He said it was really weird.

Mine did that too. Somehow he was seen his reflection in the glass with the lights on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My betta did that too when I loved him to the 10g from his 1.5 cube. And I suspect it's because he could see himself. Once the bio film develops maybe the reflection isn't as clear?

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom