Custom marineland cartridges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I think I'm developing the MTS everyone talks about in this hobby. My 20 is up and running for a few months now, and I think I'd like a 10g. The only thing is I don't want to spend as much as I did on the 20, so I'm looking at the 10g marineland kits which include everything.

I'm aware the bio-wheel is never changed, but the mechanical filtration cartridge is what concerns me. I don't want to buy the cartridges which I feel are overpriced and they also include carbon which I don't need.

Is there anyway to make custom cartridges with something like just poly batting? I'm currently cutting pieces for my AC50 in addition to the sponges as a water polisher. Anyone with a marineland bio-wheel have any ideas?

Use an old cartridge. Rip off the old floss stuff and dump out the carbon. Save the plastic frame. Cut a new piece of floss pad to be a quarter inch larger than the frame on all sides. Use rubber bands to attach. Easy.

I wouldn't get the kit.

Wait for a Petco $1 per gallon sale and get a 10-gallon tank for 10 bucks. An AquaClear filter for about $18. A heater for about another $20 and a glass top for about $14. You can decide on what kind of lighting you want based on whether you're going to keep plants or not.

The whole setup might cost you a little more than a kit, but going this route will allow you to design it according to your needs; and most importantly, it'll allow you to select a filter that will not need new media on a regular basis.

David

Use an old cartridge. Rip off the old floss stuff and dump out the carbon. Save the plastic frame. Cut a new piece of floss pad to be a quarter inch larger than the frame on all sides. Use rubber bands to attach. Easy.

This is exactly the thing I was looking for; thanks for this tip.

You can also buy the frames from MarineLand. I bought two and cut stuff to fit it. I bought mine from here: Marineland Penguin Refillable Media Cartridges

You can put batting around the outside (a little hot glue to hold it), and fill the inside with Purigen or SeaChem Matrix.
Good to know, I may see how it ends up.

I wouldn't get the kit.

Wait for a Petco $1 per gallon sale and get a 10-gallon tank for 10 bucks. An AquaClear filter for about $18. A heater for about another $20 and a glass top for about $14. You can decide on what kind of lighting you want based on whether you're going to keep plants or not.

The whole setup might cost you a little more than a kit, but going this route will allow you to design it according to your needs; and most importantly, it'll allow you to select a filter that will not need new media on a regular basis.

David ]

My local petsmarts never have AC20s in stock. I've checked several times in the last 3 months and they never have them. The closest petco is about 30 minutes away as well.

I already went the seperate route with my current 20g long, and ended up spending a considerably lot more than I intended. I've found a person who has the marineland kit and is growing low light plants well, but slow, which is fine for me. Even with the cheapest hood/lighting fixture and ordering online I'd look at 80-90 dollars; with this kit I'll sit at 60-70.

Back
Top Bottom