Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to get a cyano out break from adding dry rock? I rinised it in ro/di water but there where still some stuff that came off of it in the tank. Also my skimmer went crazy after putting the rock in. Has anyone had this problem before? Its pukani from bulk reef supply

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417310414.441782.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417310423.485169.jpg heres some pics. In the tank i have diatoms from new rock

I would not worry about cyano growing on my sump. That's where they are supposed to be and not in your DT. That's a sign of excess nutrients. Skimmer will go crazy once the water level has went up. Adding rocks has added volume to your sump.

Theres diatoms in display from new rock i guessing. On sand and new rock but cyano so far is only in sump. I have been feeding more now and my skimmer has been pulling out about a cup everyday since ive added the rock its going crazy and its really dark skim mate. Ive been having to clean it on a daily it has never been like this

So fug is looking nasty. It runs 24/7. Should i just run one bulb 24/7? 2 bulbs on opposite light from tank or 1 bulb opposite from tank?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417397509.125438.jpg

A fuge doesn't have to look clean. It can be nasty, infact letting it run lets your nasty stuff grow in there instead of the display. You can run it 24/7 or opposite the display lights. It is up to you, but you aren't keeping any macro algae that can go sexual and harm your tank for it to matter.

Ok so ive heard of people putting mollies in their tank. I was thinking of adding one in the sump just to help with the nastiness. Do they eat cyano and other algae or just hair algae? Also wouldnt want it eating my cheato

The point of having algae in the refugium is that it is a safe place for it to grow and for things like pods to grow. Putting a fish in there is counter productive...that and converting freshwater fish to salt probably shortens their life...those that can be. Mollies...ugh.

I have heard mollies actually do much better in brackish, but why a fish and not something like a snail?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing eats cyanobacteria as far as I have seen, and you don't ever want to put anything in the refugium that consumes algae. As Hank stated, it's counter productive.
That said, a friend just started a tank with the reef saver rock from BRS and even though he cycled it in a separate container, the fish died when exposed to it. No ammonia was present, so it was not the lack of bacteria. I think this rock can leach something harmful. he mentioned his ph was fine as well, so, not sure what it could be at this point.

Last edited:
Looks good don't mess with it. Don't even look at it. Just put tiger pods in and let it role.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom