cycle not starting! help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hannah0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am trying currently to do a fish-in-cycle, i have a 20 gallon tank with 4 rosy minnows in it. i put the fish in April 28th (12 days ago) and i have been feeding them everyday a little bit of food. at first i tested for ammonia and had nothing so i fed them a little more. still no ammonia and now on day 12 i have no ammonia no nitrite or nitrate. i know the dangers of doing a fish in cycle but i was dumb and bought the fish before i cycled the tank. any help would be appreciated on figuring out what i'm doing wrong! i know that fish-in-cycles take longer but i just expected there to be ammonia by now ! thank you!

Filter: Whisper 20i by Tetra- pretty sure it's a carbon filter
Temperature: normal 65-70 degrees F
I'm using an API mater test kit for fresh water.

Hi hannah.

You are quite lightly stocked (as it should be for a fish in cycle), so i wouldnt expect to see very much.

Is the aquarium planted? Perhaps the plants are taking up what little ammonia there is.

Did you use any established media or bottled bacteria to seed your filter? If so maybe the bacteria colony is working. I would double check you are doing the nitrate test correctly. If you dont shake the heck out of bottle #2 it can lead to a false 0 reading.

Are you doing any water changes? Perhaps you are diluting down what little ammonia there is below a readable level.

thank you for replying ! in my tank i only have 2 moss balls which are quite small! i didn't add any established media or bottled bacteria! and i have been sure to shake all the bottles before putting them in to test and then i also shake the test tube pretty hard ! i have only done one 20% water change and that was 4 days after i got the fish. maybe i just need some more fish!

also quick question, if i take out the fish poop with a turkey baster will the cycle still be able to happen?? i haven't taken any out but i just feel bad like they are living in their poop !

Hi Hannah!

Firstly, don’t worry, fish in cycles can be humane if done right. I suggest you perhaps wanna get a bottle of Seachem prime as well. When the ammonia kicks in, Prime turns ammonia to ammonium. Which I believe is harmless to fish, at the same time, continues your cycle! Plus, it’s an anti chlorine, so you can add them whenever you do your water change.

The poop is meant to break down (thus the ammonia), but of course feel free to vac it if it’s too much in your own opinion. But Of course, removing water = reducing ammonia.

À cycled tank will still have poop anyways, just that the beneficial bacteria will be so quick to turn ammonia to nitrate, and that becomes fertilisers for the plants!

(Looks at all the poop in my own tank..) now you are making me feel guilty!

Hmmm. I would have expected to see some ammonia with there being nothing in the tank to remove it. Might be an idea to test some tap water or better still some bottled water so you can compare the reading with your tank water and confirm 0ppm.

If you really arent seeing any ammonia or nitrites after nearly 2 weeks i would say its ok to add a couple more fish. Make sure you keep up water testing and be ready to do a water change if you see an ammonia or nitrite spike.

With regards to removing the poop, the best way to do that is with the syphon when you do your water change. I would do this once per week. Yes, taking it out will slow down the cycling process, but its better to take it out periodically. Only lightly remove the poop from the surface of the substrate, dont dig the hose in as you dont want to disturb the beneficial bacteria inhabiting your substrate. A thorough gravel vac can wait until your tank is cycled and you have a better established bacterial colony.

thank you! i have a bare bottom tank so that would be no problem! i also have tested my tap water which has 1 ppm of ammonia so i know i'm not getting false readings

hi! i already have a bottle of Prime so when ammonia shows up i am prepared ! and that's make me feel a lot better knowing that having poop is ok! i might start taking a little out every couple of days or so just to keep it looking nice and clean !

Back
Top Bottom