cycle question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evo8

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a shrimp in my bio cube 29 and I've been testing and all the levels were up like they should of been..this morning I test my
nitrites are at 0
Nitrates maybe 2.5 in between 0 and 5
And ammonia I think is danm near close to 0..

Could I be cycles?

looks like its there
partial wc and your done
but just to be sure how long has it cycled we don't want to see you getting a false reading
as some try to jump the gun lol

Lol only About a week..I'll test again later..and tomorrow to be safe before I do anything..I did use 40lbs of FRESH live sand and abiut 30lbs of premium live rock..5lbs of live rubble in the filter. The shrimp is also still in there

give it a few days check again
but you said you used cured lr and sand if it was sent to you in mail most likely false reading
you need to figure in die off
did you ever peak readings up to 40 ppm during cycle if not your not there yet

With the live rock and all, it could have been that fast, but I would test again just to be sure. I agree with not adding anything more...if it is cycled, then you are good. If you are not, it should be soon.

Did you do a water change to get the nitrates down? If they are up to 40, they should not have dropped by themselves.

No, that is not a lucky thing...it is a biological process that works one way. Ammonia turns to nitrites, nitrites change to nitrates, nitrates hang around until removed by you through water changes or somewhat through using something like macro algae. The first two do disappear, nitrates do not.

If you used all live rock you wouldnt see a cycle really. You could have some die off from transporting the rock but that would be minimal. This is how I setup a new tank myself. I add all live established rock, wait a few days and test. If there is no ammonia or nitrites then I consider it good to go. I;ve done this at least a dozen times all without incident.

But what would explain the nitrates up at 40ppm, then suddenly drop to close to zero? I totally agree that using live rock and sand speeds things up.

Sorry guys there may be something off with my nitrate test kit.weird..I had some strips laying around I used before my liquid kit and nitrate is at 30 ppm!

Oh and the rest was still at 0. Its really hard to tell with ammonia because it gets cloudy but I think its more of a yellow than green

I was looking at freshwater cards the ammonia is good.. dead snack at 0 I bottled some water though and am taking it to my LFS after class tonight for an outside test(just in case) I'm nervous lol

Never hurts to get that second opinion.

IMO, I would ditch the strips. They are notorious for being inaccurate.

I have the liquid test kit..I just had strips laying around from before my liquid test days..Lol

Thinking back on it now my nitrate test may be defective..i never get any readings on my 8G. either, which i thought was weird.. ill have to pick up a new nitrate test tonight when im getiing my water tested. Does the nitrate test from freshwater not work for saltwater?

Back
Top Bottom