Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some of you know I did a client build for a family friend.

It's a 56 gallon tank.
All fish added at the same time.
Used a brand new Aquaclear 70 for their tank.---I also used an Aquaclear 70 FROM MY OWN TANK. The filter was cycled but I got some conflicting readings this mornin after adding the fish. I moved my filter underwater in tank water. All media stayed in tank water till filter setup. Out of water maybe 5 mins at most.

Readings this morning after Adding fish 13 hours ago:

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.25 (thinking from all the fish additions at once)
Nitrite: 0 (thank God...)
Nitrate: 0

The nitrate is stumping me. I figured I might have seen at least 10ppm.

The tank is cloudy. I told them it is the sand needing to settle(which is also probably true) so they won't worry but is this tank cycled or do I need to do a fish in cycle...

Caleb

If you didn't use old water you didn't bring any nitrAtes with you!
The filter will make them,but they stayin the water!
Best to keep an eye on it though.
Was the stocking for the cycled aq close to new stocking level?

If you didn't use old water you didn't bring any nitrAtes with you!
The filter will make them,but they stayin the water!
Best to keep an eye on it though.
Was the stocking for the cycled aq close to new stocking level?

From my understanding very little BB is actually free floating in the water. Why would I want to add old tank water to ADD nitrates? Wouldn't that be a false positive contradictory to an actual reading?

The stocking is less than the original tank they(and the filter) were previously housed in.

Caleb

I didn't want you add old water!
I'm saying that if you didn't bring water you didn't bring nitrAtes!
The filter will produce them.
Hopefully soon.
If the stocking now is less then load that was on the aq before you should be all good IMO.
Keep testing but I think you will be good in days.

I figure i am over exasperating something that isn't really a problem but because it's not my tank it's got me worried sick because I can't be there 24/7. I told him I'll change some water today to take care of the 0.25 ammonia and test again tommorow. If I see more ammonia and no nitrates in going to assume cycled failed and I'll be screwed. Meaning everyday after work I'll have to test and water change the tank.

Caleb

What is the ammonia level of tap water?

If all water is new, you might be seeing the .25 ammonia from a full tank of new tap water.

You could always add some of YOUR plants as they are also covered with the BB!
I have done what you are doing many times and never had a problem.
Feed the fish lite(don't let owners feed them this week at all{take food with you!}) and I think all we be well.
Give it more then a day before you think it didn't work.
The whole hobby is based on patience and knowledge.
You did /are doing it right.
Be patient.

I have no problem with my plants. One problem: there light could barely grow Anubias on a good day. It's only a small T8 bulb.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom