cycleing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madhatter208

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started cycleing my almost 2 weeks ago..

June ..17th I belive.. (I realy should have wrote the date down )

My Ammonia seems to be now hanging onto about a 0.25 < @@# dip sticks) I took it to the LFS on sunday the 24th and they came to the same result useing the liquid reader vs the dip stick.

so..
PH 7.8 to a 8.4 ( I'll take a sample into work n test it on my PH meter )

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 30

Ammonia 0.25

Alkalinity 380 ( I think is what i read)

I'm at work so I may be off a touch on numbers but pretty sure thats where I'm at.

I was going to mix up some saltwater tonight and do a 5gal pwc (65gal tank) on friday and another 5gal pwc on sat.

0.25 ammonia is said to be safe and I'm thinking that w/ 2 small pwc back to back that may just take care of the ammonia and drop my nitrate down to 0.

Am I on the right path here?

I'll double check the numbers tonight when I get home and edit if needed

Personally... I don't think you're on the right path, but it all depends on how you're cycling the tank. Did you add already cured live rock? If so, did you add any ammonia source like fish food, or the infamous cocktail shrimp? If you started with cured live rock, then you might not see much of a cycle at all, but you will see nitrates start to show up. Assuming that the water you're putting into your tank is nitrate-free, having nitrates show up implies you've got a good ammonia/nitrite/nitrate cycle going on. Is your "fresh" water nitrate free?

However, if you haven't used cured live rock, then two weeks really isn't long enough for a cycle to occur. While very low levels of ammonia is not immediately toxic to fish, it IS toxic. When starting out your tank, you want zero ammonia and zero nitrites. Until you get zero of both levels, I wouldn't do any water changes at all as it will just slow things down.

I can't remember from your previous posts how you've started the cycle, but to me it sounds like you have one of two things:

1. You started with cured live rock and experienced a mini-cycle and once your ammonia drops to zero you're good to do some PWCs and start stocking, or...

2. You are just starting your cycle and have nitrates in your source water.

EDIT: OK... I just went back and reread some of your old posts, and it sure does sound like you're at the tail end of your cycle. Looks like you used live sand. Also noted that you did see a spike in your nitrites, and they're gone now, so that implies you're done. I'd still be a little concerned about that ammonia though - at the end you shouldn't see any.

yea ok i spose i should have put in more info.. assumeing other posts were read is a booboo on my side..

yea even that small trace of ammonia had me a tad concerned. thats why i fig I'd ask quick.
I noticed that ammonia drop but not completly and has been holding at about a 0.25 for about 5days now.

Less some of that shrimp is still hanging around but w/ all the extra hitch hickers I've found I fig they would have taken care of that.

doing 2 - 5 gal pwc over 2 days ( 5gal a day, 5 on friday, 5 on sat) ( limited "CLEAN" buckets so I can only really do 5gal a day safely for this 1st pwc after they cycle.)
Once this 1st pwc is done depending on the water readings I'll do 5gal a week to every other week. should this not be enough then I'll have to try n snag another 5gal bucket from work.
Deff some advantages to this job hehe.

so the ? remains

Will this help dissipate that 0.25 ammonia.
Im pretty sure it should if not take care of the nitrate completly at least reduce it to safe level.

If at all poss I'd like to put A fish in by monday the 2nd. As a Bday gift to myself LOL.
if i cant .. then i cant.. just a hope is all.

You need more 5g buckets for sure. Might as well get them now.

You really want that water change right after your cycle to be on the larger size... more like 25-30%. That will really get those nitrates down fast without wasting a lot of water. Doing a 5g change on a 65g tank is only a 7% or so change. As far as reducing your nitrates, that 5g change will only take your 30ppm readig down to about 27ppm. As roka noted, doing just 5g changes will take a LOT of time (and money in salt mix) to get your nitrates down to the 10ppm level.

And getting a big Rubbermaid trash can or rectangular tub (my personal favorite) is definitely going to be something that will make your life easier. Having premade saltwater "on hand" is something that really makes life easier and more stress free!

ya know..

I got a 40gal trash can in the basement. its what i used to fill the tank in the 1st place.
Not sure why i didnt think of it before.

I could do a 10gal pwc right off the bat. but my heater may be a tad small. its only a 25watt i think. 5.5gal heater. Maybe they let me swap it out for the 50watt 10gal heater.
is 10gal ok or should i do a bit more for the 1st pwc after a cycle?

Yes the salterwater master liquid test kit is what im going to be getting. Just wanted to use up these dip sticks. fig i spent good money on them may as well use them. they wont last long for new tank as im checking pretty much every day to see where im at and prob will check fairly often even after the 1st figh goes in just to make sure things are ok. so ya.. the liquid kit will be bought soon.

NOTE:
a 40gal wheeled trash can can hold alot of water but it will buckel under the weight. Be carefull hehe. I had to prob up some water fillled buckets against it to keep it from haveing a major accident.

I would suggest Mike taking your water to your LFS and have him double check your ammonia reading. There might be something wrong with yours. Whatever it is dont add any livestock till ammonia is at 0. Once the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 then do a good size say 33% PWC and then do weekly 10-15% PWC`s after that. JMO

madhatter208 said:
a 40gal wheeled trash can can hold alot of water but it will buckel under the weight.
I agree, but mine is 32 G and I probably only have 20-24 G in there. But that is a great point of advice, as I wouldn't have thought of it until it busted on me!

Back
Top Bottom