Cycling a new, old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joefiatoa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank set up

- 40 g

- 50 lbs to 60 lbs of gravel

- around 10 lbs of miracle grow organic choice potting mix

- 2 aquaria filters

- 10-20 assorted freshwater plants

- 6 assorted plecos

- 2 c. Algae eaters

- black mollies

I have a 40 g est. tank that I have had running for about a year now. I wanted to add potting mix to my substrate so that my plants grow better and stop getting kicked up by my fish. Everything I am using for the new set up is coming from the already established tank. I had to drain about 75% of the water to make rescale. I have kept about 25% of the old water and also am using all original substrate of the old tank. I want to know how I should go about cycling my tank the quickest so I can reintroduce my fish again. How should I do my water changes and which fish should i put in first. Any other suggestions as well would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you add miracle grow to a fish tank? I have never heard of such a thing, and I would think their are chemicals in it that are potentially harmful to fish.

It's the organic potting mix. Not the soil or fertz

Can you dose 4ppm ammonia into the new tank? If so, then you can just test the water parameters like you would during a typical cycle. Then you'd know for sure instead of guesstimating.

Back
Top Bottom