Cycling a new tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 54 liter tank with no fish. I was hoping someone could help me with cycling it before I add fish.

I have a 54 liter tank with no fish. I was hoping someone could help me with cycling it before I add fish.

HI and welcome to AA. And we sure can help! Good for you for researching!

There's a link below in my signature (the one that reads 'new empty tank...'). Read it a few times and do what it says and it'll get you started. Basically you set up your tank with filter, heater, etc and then fishless cycle either using pure ammonia (preferred) or fish food or raw shrimp. Get a good liquid test kit too, like the API Master kit. Follow the guide and if you have any questions along the way post them and we'll be glad to help.

librarygirl said:
HI and welcome to AA. And we sure can help! Good for you for researching!

There's a link below in my signature (the one that reads 'new empty tank...'). Read it a few times and do what it says and it'll get you started. Basically you set up your tank with filter, heater, etc and then fishless cycle either using pure ammonia (preferred) or fish food or raw shrimp. Get a good liquid test kit too, like the API Master kit. Follow the guide and if you have any questions along the way post them and we'll be glad to help.

Sorry how do I get to your signature.
I clicked your name and went through your threads but couldn't find anything.
Thanks

Ah perfect. Thanks for your help. O have the api kit ordered and have a heater and filter in motion. I've already added a tea spoon of ammonia. And just waitin for the api kit to arrive in post.

Ah perfect. Thanks for your help. O have the api kit ordered and have a heater and filter in motion. I've already added a tea spoon of ammonia. And just waitin for the api kit to arrive in post.

Great! I did a conversion and your tank is about 14 gallons. I'm not sure which brand of ammonia you are using (be sure it's pure, without surfectants, dyes or perfumes and it doesn't foam when you shake it) but it can be potent stuff. A teaspoon might have been too much, but it's OK for now. When you get the test kit, test the ammonia and if it's over 4 on the kit do a water change to get it down to about 4. The first time I dosed a 12 gal I used a teaspoon and thought I was being conservative but then I tested and ammonia was off the chart (it was so dark green it was almost black; you'll see what I mean when you get the test kit with the charts) and had to do a large water change to get it down. :)

librarygirl said:
Great! I did a conversion and your tank is about 14 gallons. I'm not sure which brand of ammonia you are using (be sure it's pure, without surfectants, dyes or perfumes and it doesn't foam when you shake it) but it can be potent stuff. A teaspoon might have been too much, but it's OK for now. When you get the test kit, test the ammonia and if it's over 4 on the kit do a water change to get it down to about 4. The first time I dosed a 12 gal I used a teaspoon and thought I was being conservative but then I tested and ammonia was off the chart (it was so dark green it was almost black; you'll see what I mean when you get the test kit with the charts) and had to do a large water change to get it down. :)

Ok. That's not good so ha. It's quiet a shallow spoon so it was prob able 3 mls of ammonia and it seem pure has no fragrance and doesn't foam. Do that seems ok. But I will update my test as I go along. Hopefully it's low enough.

Ok. That's not good so ha. It's quiet a shallow spoon so it was prob able 3 mls of ammonia and it seem pure has no fragrance and doesn't foam. Do that seems ok. But I will update my test as I go along. Hopefully it's low enough.

Yes that should be good. Do you know the brand name of the ammonia, just to double-check?

Even if you've overdosed it will be OK until you get the test kit in. But you could get lucky and it might be the perfect amount!

librarygirl said:
Yes that should be good. Do you know the brand name of the ammonia, just to double-check?

Even if you've overdosed it will be OK until you get the test kit in. But you could get lucky and it might be the perfect amount!

I live in ireland and its the a store called homebase and it's there own brand ammonia. Says on the back it's 9.5% ammonium hydroxide. Not sure if that means anything. And can I add in that bubble wand thing half way through cause I dont have one of them? I'll order tonight though.

I live in ireland and its the a store called homebase and it's there own brand ammonia. Says on the back it's 9.5% ammonium hydroxide. Not sure if that means anything. And can I add in that bubble wand thing half way through cause I dont have one of them? I'll order tonight though.

Yes I think I've heard of Homebase being used before in fishless cycles, so I think you're good there. (y) You don't need an air stone to cycle but it will help bring some extra oxygen into the tank which the bacteria like. And yes it's fine to add it at any time during the cycle.

librarygirl said:
Yes I think I've heard of Homebase being used before in fishless cycles, so I think you're good there. (y) You don't need an air stone to cycle but it will help bring some extra oxygen into the tank which the bacteria like. And yes it's fine to add it at any time during the cycle.

And for this air stone do I need a pump with these or does it hook up to my filter?

I believe 54 L converts to about 14g? If that's correct you're gonna want to do about a 50% water change. I added less than 1/2 tsp (my ammonia is 10%) to 20g tank and it was too high. Looked like an 8 to me so I went ahead and changed it last night and this morning it was @ 4. That's just my experience:) hope I helped.

sillygirl423 said:
I believe 54 L converts to about 14g? If that's correct you're gonna want to do about a 50% water change. I added less than 1/2 tsp (my ammonia is 10%) to 20g tank and it was too high. Looked like an 8 to me so I went ahead and changed it last night and this morning it was @ 4. That's just my experience:) hope I helped.

Thanks yeah that's helped alot. :)

Steo the great said:
And for this air stone do I need a pump with these or does it hook up to my filter?

You need an air pump, or u can u just sit by ur tank blowing into the tube connected to the air stone all day creating the bubbles yourself and because I know you I think you should go for that option hahaha

Chris22 said:
You need an air pump, or u can u just sit by ur tank blowing into the tube connected to the air stone all day creating the bubbles yourself and because I know you I think you should go for that option hahaha

Chris thanks for that I have myself doing an hour then switching with my girlfriend who does the next hour.

Hey again. I just checked my water and it's well above 5 so I did a 50% water change. And it's gone down to 3 ppm. So should I just wait till it lowers back to 0. Then dose it back up to 4?

It probably wouldn't hurt to put a drop of ammonia in ( literally a drop if you have a dropper) just to make it easier to follow the guide. Don't let the tank drop to 0 you'll starve your bacteria.

G) Have patience. Test your ammonia level every few days. When you see it start dropping down… the party’s getting started. Let it go down to about 1ppm and then dose it back up to 4ppm. Don’t let it drop to zero because you’ll be starving your bacteria.

sillygirl423 said:
It probably wouldn't hurt to put a drop of ammonia in ( literally a drop if you have a dropper) just to make it easier to follow the guide. Don't let the tank drop to 0 you'll starve your bacteria.

G) Have patience. Test your ammonia level every few days. When you see it start dropping down… the party’s getting started. Let it go down to about 1ppm and then dose it back up to 4ppm. Don’t let it drop to zero because you’ll be starving your bacteria.

Ok so I'll pit a drop in now and then I'll check it again tomorrow.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom