Cycling a tank with a Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elbowandknee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my fancy goldfish for 5 days now and only learned fully of the nitrogen cycle after getting him. Subsequently I believe he is suffering from ammonia poisoning. He stays at the top of that tank (does not gasp for air) and has not ate anything in the last 3 days. Also tested for ammonia at the top of the tank implying that it is more toxic below.

I'm doing 20% water changes (taking out the bottom water) daily to reduce the ammonia but how often should I siphon the gravel? If I do this everyday would I not be removing the healthy bacteria affecting the cycle?

Tank: Aqua 30, 25 litres
Filter: Rena Superclean 40 (modified slightly- pointed it an upward angle and added air tubing to the tip so that the filtered water breaks the surface increasing the oxygen in the water)

Thanks for any help!

No you are not removing the good bacteria by gravel vac'ing.

If you are feeding the fish and he's not eating I'm going to assume it's sinking to the bottom, which would mean your doing good by doing the gravel vac everyday.

You will need to do larger daily water changes to keep your water safe. I'm not sure how many gallons your tank is but the smaller the tank the more difficult it will be to keep good water quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As mentioned, just keep doing partial water changes, daily or every other day and do not over feed. Don't change your filter floss or sponge, this is the most important area where your beneficial bacteria lives, this is what you are cycling....your filter, 95% of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter once it cycles. If there is uneaten food in the gravel you should remove it.
The gravel... once your filter cycles and you do your scheduled water changes, that's when you vacuum.

No you are not removing the good bacteria by gravel vac'ing.

If you are feeding the fish and he's not eating I'm going to assume it's sinking to the bottom, which would mean your doing good by doing the gravel vac everyday.

You will need to do larger daily water changes to keep your water safe. I'm not sure how many gallons your tank is but the smaller the tank the more difficult it will be to keep good water quality.

Thank you for replying!

The tank is 5.5 imperial gallons and 6.6 US gallons I believe. As the vacuuming does no harm, I will just incorporate this daily. As he is not eating I am only trying one flake at a time and when he does not eat it I remove it to prevent it from lying at the bottom as you said. Have you any ideas on how I could get him to eat? I am concerned that he may starve. I have tried two brands of flakes, pellets and peas.

I will do around 30% daily if you think that would be more adequate? I'll be able to have better water control hopefully once my api master kit arrives.

As mentioned, just keep doing partial water changes, daily or every other day and do not over feed. Don't change your filter floss or sponge, this is the most important area where your beneficial bacteria lives, this is what you are cycling....your filter, 95% of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter once it cycles. If there is uneaten food in the gravel you should remove it.
The gravel... once your filter cycles and you do your scheduled water changes, that's when you vacuum.

Thank you for responding! :)

I will do so! Overfeeding isn't a problem I don't believe as I only feed him one flake at a time to ensure he eats it- if not I remove the flake. I won't change any of the filter but should I rinse the filter sponge in the removed water? If so, daily or not? Lets hope my tank cycles soon!

No do not rinse your filter spong, this will disturbe your cycle ad prolong it.

I would use pellets, put a couple in the tank and walk away for a bit, he may be shy and eat it after you leave.

As for you tank size, your not going to like this, but it is much too small and will be difficult to maintain water quality with a goldfish (being a messy fish) 30% water changes in this size of tank probably won't cut the ammonia down enough...,as it is such a small volume of water.

Eventually this fish will out grow this tank, you may get a couple of months out of this tank and after that the fish will start to be stunted, and you will be dealing with large water changes.l daily.

If you want to do weekly water changes I would suggest a 20g tank for your goldfish (I think you said he was a fantail?)

Just some stuff for you to think about. :)

No do not rinse your filter spong, this will disturbe your cycle ad prolong it.

I would use pellets, put a couple in the tank and walk away for a bit, he may be shy and eat it after you leave.

As for you tank size, your not going to like this, but it is much too small and will be difficult to maintain water quality with a goldfish (being a messy fish) 30% water changes in this size of tank probably won't cut the ammonia down enough...,as it is such a small volume of water.

Eventually this fish will out grow this tank, you may get a couple of months out of this tank and after that the fish will start to be stunted, and you will be dealing with large water changes.l daily.

If you want to do weekly water changes I would suggest a 20g tank for your goldfish (I think you said he was a fantail?)

Just some stuff for you to think about. :)

Ok, thanks! I'll try that, hopefully he will eat soon! Oh no I know you shouldn't do anymore than 50%, I am concerned my will my fish get stressed with all these water changes. I'll definitely look into getting a 20g tank! Yeah he is a fantail I am sure, added a picture just to confirm. :)

Water changes won't stress him out, it's clean fresh water going through the system. It's good for him :)

I don't see a pic...

Maybe another type of food to try could be sinking pellets, if it falls past his face he may want to eat it...mine were like that before them came to the surface to eat.

That's good, I'll continue with that then :) I am unable to get the same temperatures during the water change, the water in the tank is always warmer than Scottish tap water even when I prepare the new water hours in advance! I hope this does not bother him too much either.

Apologies, I did try and attach one!

Yeah, it's worth a try :)

I still see no pic :) making me anxious now.

I'm not sure how you are for space but you could try letting water sit in a bucket over night so that it will be room temperature.

That's good, I'll continue with that then :) I am unable to get the same temperatures during the water change, the water in the tank is always warmer than Scottish tap water even when I prepare the new water hours in advance! I hope this does not bother him too much either.

Apologies, I did try and attach one!

Yeah, it's worth a try :)

The tank is really small for a goldfish as previously discussed. In the future although a 20 gallon amount ~76 liters, a ~114 liter size might be more comfortable for the fish, considering how much waste they can produce, and leave you the possibility of adding another fish.

Clean water is your friend. You can always microwave a cup of water or 2 and add to you new water to warm it up so it is a closer temperature. Anything you can do to minimize stress to the fish the better.

Do you have any green peas, frozen green peas are fine? you can cook them in bottled or treated water. You can cook them on the stove till they soften or in the microwave. You take off the round outer shell of the pea and there are 2 parts inside, see if the fish will eat the little part of the pea, try a few times to see and vac up any left overs. Keep trying to see if it will eat it. you can also squeeze a little oil/juice from a garlic clove into the little bits of peas and let it soak into them to see if that might encourage the fish to eat.

Have you seen it / or that it has pooped? If you see the poop is it white and stringy or normal brown black greenish?

Have you added any nitrifying bacteria yet? Bio spira or Quick start works wonders. Also make sure you are declorinating he water. I'm assuming you have been but it wasn't mentioned. ?

Autumnsky

Sorry won't let me quote your text to reply.

I will definitely add some microwaved hot water to the other water :) I've tried peas everyday doing that method. Even went he ate his flakes on the first few days he still stayed away from the peas :/

Yes he has pooped, not in the last few days. I have seen both! What does the white poo mean?

Wendy,

Pets at home said not to add any bacteria/ chemicals as this would harm the fish environment in the long run. Yeah sorry, maybe I should have been clearer, I do use tap safe on the water.

Ok, thanks! I'll try that, hopefully he will eat soon! Oh no I know you shouldn't do anymore than 50%, I am concerned my will my fish get stressed with all these water changes. I'll definitely look into getting a 20g tank! Yeah he is a fantail I am sure, added a picture just to confirm. :)

I don't know where you heard this, but it isn't true. You can do much more than 50% and probably should in this case. I would remove as much water as possible, and refill with fresh, dechlorinated water.

I don't know where you heard this, but it isn't true. You can do much more than 50% and probably should in this case. I would remove as much water as possible, and refill with fresh, dechlorinated water.
Ok, I will do that! Do you think several water changes a day would be more beneficial than just one? Is there ever a time I should not do a water change when the tank is not cycled. I believe that once the tank has cycled I would only need to do 1/2 a week, is this correct?

I have used bacteria for years with wonderful results.
I'm honestly up for doing everything to try and save him so when I go tomorrow to pets at home (with my water sample) I will have a look there and pick up something along the lines of what you suggested. Thanks!

Stringy white poo can be constipation, bacterial infections, internal parasites.
Clear poo can be the fish hasn't been eating, internal parasites.

If you think those might be illness then you should look up treatments from the unhealthy fish section.

Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

A pic of the poop would be helpful. I am not the best with info for treating the illness, I haven't ever had to treat for internal parasites.

Back
Top Bottom