cycling and stocking my new five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay! I am going to the better fish store that is twenty minutes away tonight. Can't wait! I will get whatever plants they have that I am interested in, but last time I was there they didn't have much selection for them. But they have a huge selection of both salt and freshwater fish. I will be uploading some pictures, because going to THAT store is like going to a zoo in a different country. You never know what you will find! Last time I was there they had a "giant otocinclus" that was over 2 feet long. They also had some weird blue fish that was almost glowing. I will take a picture of it when I go. Hope fully someone can identify it! My new tank came with some chemical that is supposed to remove all ammonia, nitrite, and chlorine. I am not going to do it. haha all it will do is get rid of it and then it will come back again. but obviously most of the ammonia in the new tank has been converted to nitrite, especially because I added a bunch of food before I went to my dads house. I think it probably went over 4 ppm. But I will never know...

I learned a lot from this thread. We were going to use my son's 5 gal hex tank for a QT, but maybe we'll put micros in there and use something plain for a QT when needed.
Same here. I like micros, but they are kind of hard to find where I live. :(

Are there any other things I could use instead of cheese cloth for the food to go in there? What about a sock? I am not able to get cheesecloth today, but will tomorrow.

maxwellag said:
Are there any other things I could use instead of cheese cloth for the food to go in there? What about a sock? I am not able to get cheesecloth today, but will tomorrow.

Are you talking about for putting fish food in for cycling? If you're going to the lfs, they sell mesh media bags which would work perfectly.

Yes, i am talking about something to hold the food to keep it from getting all over the tank. My lfs doesn't. Nevermind, I am going to the better fs this weekend. But my lfs has better plant selection. And that is what I am looking for.

eco23 said:
Are you talking about for putting fish food in for cycling? If you're going to the lfs, they sell mesh media bags which would work perfectly.

Eco 23 answered your question sufficiently

maxwellag said:
Nevermind. Can a moderator please delete this thread?

Did you have a question about something?

If you just want to chat, we have a chat room as well as a section called The Lounge where there's lots of conversation happening. I don't know how old you are, but there's a thread called "Teens of AA" which is very active and always has people in it. :)

Forgive me but is this the first forum you've participated on? Patience is the key with any forum. Sometimes I don't get a reply for days. But that's how it works. People reply when they have the time and something useful to share with you. They may read and read your posts without saying anything but it doesn't mean they are ignoring you. They just don't have anything to add at that particular moment. Let me suggest leaving the thread open. I, for one, have come to appreciate how open minded you have been towards others suggestions and criticisms. That kind of attitude shows a certain level of maturity but when you begin to seem anxious because no one is responding, even for a few hours, it shows a level of immaturity. That can easily turn people off. You don't want people to feel obligated to respond or they may start ignoring all your posts. I am not trying to be harsh, only helpful. I want you to get all the help you request and be able to enjoy being a part of a forum as much as the other members enjoy having you as a member.

:)

From the southeast,
Good night

Sorry. I thought everyone abandoned me like they did in my other thread.

I agree, I have been getting a little impatient. I will try to be patient.

maxwellag said:
Would a dwarf puffer or two be ok in it or not??

No and you know better than that. Now I am done with this, I have my own kids to raise.

Deckape said:
No and you know better than that. Now I am done with this, I have my own kids to raise.

No, I didn't know better than that. I don't know much about puffers.

Ok, let's get back to the subject of this thread. Would some danios be ok in there? Like 4 glofish?

I just tested the water.
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm
What do you think of this idea?:
-I get two female guppies
-when my five gallon is cycled, I put one male and one female into it. They will have babies. I will raise the babies in the five gallon, and sell them. But some will go into my ten. But it is full right now. I would sell the fry on here and ship them.

your still not fully cycled id wait a week dose up to 2ppm and let it convert through to be sure. as for guppies live bearers like them reproduce to fast for a 5 have you considered a betta or shrimp tanl

Back
Top Bottom