Cycling- high nitrate spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fraoch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone!
I am just getting back into the hobby after a few years away and I am setting up a new 160l.
I started a fishless cycle with ammonia roughly 2 weeks ago and decided I would also try out adding the Nite Out II bacteria in a bottle to see if it made any difference. My ammonia level was constant at about 5ppm for just over a week then I saw the nitrite level increase to 0.5ppm and the ammonia drop. I have continued to add ammonia each day to keep it at about 2-3ppm. Today when I tested the ammonia is back to 0.25, nitrite at 0.25 and nitrates at roughly 100ppm- hard to tell because the API test kit doesn't do specific readings that high.
My questions are:
Does this mean I am nearing the end of my cycle already?
My tank is already planted- should I do any sort of water change with the nitrates being so high or just leave it be?
If the nitrates keep increasing will it start to slow down the cycle as a whole or kill off the bacteria?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice! :fish2:

Since you have plants and are trying to cycle it may not work and give false readings since plants eat ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. It may take 3-8 weeks to see an outcome.

Back
Top Bottom