Cycling my tank. Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blu3Shyft

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started my 46gallon tank cycling on Wednesday evening. Added ammonia (pure 'janitorial' stuff from Ace), let that run for a bit and checked it, got the ammonia level up to around 4, like the guides on this site suggest, then I seeded the tank with filter squeezings from the LFS's display tank. Within 24 hours, the ammonia level was down to around 0.5ppm. Cool. I test the rest of the parameters, Nitrite is @ 0, and Nitrate was reading between 20-40ppm. So far so good, right? So I add more ammonia to keep the cycle going. I think I may have added too much, though. Tonight when I check the levels, my ammonia is still around 1.0 (higher than the first 20ish hours, in a span of more than 24 hours since. My Nitrite is still reading 0. But strangely, it seems my nitrates are down too, closer to 10-20ppm. I only have a couple plants in the tank, and have yet to do a water change. Is this normal-ish? Are my plants using that much nitrate already? There's only 2 Asian Water ferns, and a few stems of wisteria (sp?) Did I do something wrong? My pH looks to have gone up slightly too. Hovering around 8.2, but a little darker than yesterday's reading. Using API Master Freshwater Test kit, and following directions, btw.

I wouldn't worry too much yet, it's still early. Nitrates can fluctuate a bit with plants and things and depending on the test kit you're using, it could be a user error (the strips aren't accurate and the API liquid test kit's nitrate test is finicky and needs to be done exactly according to the directions or you can get false readings). Also only dose ammonia once in 24 hours, even if it drops sooner.

it's been 11 days, only 9 days til I was hoping to put fish in for my daughter's birthday. I've done a 10% and a 50% water change because I believe the process has stalled. Here are the levels as they were about 830pm tonight

img_2673820_0_4761315602496fc301d32448e26a5fec.jpg

Nitrates I'm calling about 10ppm. Was closer to 20 before water changes.

img_2673820_1_3d88a1e880f29da7f6d8b18420db2c64.jpg

Ammonia is sitting about .5ppm. Was sitting solidly at 1ppm for a few days before water changes. I've added none since then, only a pinch of powdered up flake food.

img_2673820_2_c6177b314dc11c1d71261ec5514bbcd7.jpg

pH I'm saying is around 8.0. pH had seemed to go down a bit before water changes, but back to where it was afterward.

Don't have a pic, but the Nitrites have been at 0 since I started this with a bag of goop from my LFS's established display tank.

What should I do? Add more decor for surface area? More Water changes with some ammonia added again? Just bump my ammonia up to around 4ppm and see?

At a similar place myself, waiting to cycle.
As far as I know the only way to speed it up is to add bacteria to your filter.

I think the reason you see a difference in PH between water changes might simply be because water PH changes after it has "gassed off" for 24 hours.
I tested my tap water before adding dechlorinater, after adding dechlorinater, and after letting it stand for 24 hours. PH before and after dechlorinater was the same, and after 24 hours it dropped a point. Maybe somebody else better informed can confirm if that might be it?

It's hard to be patient, but worse if you've got a deadline :(

PH before and after dechlorinater was the same, and after 24 hours it dropped a point. Maybe somebody else better informed can confirm if that might be it?

* I agree that when you let a bucket of conditioned water sit for a while, you not only get it to room temp, but it also lowers the pH. ~from one fish lover to another

Know anyone that has an established aquarium that you could get some filter media from?

Maybe you could ask your lfs owner if you can borrow a filter? Make sure that the water he has is good [not carrying diseases]. They would probably have some kind of media for you, depending on how well they know you.

Know anyone that has an established aquarium that you could get some filter media from?

Yea, my LFS gave me a bag of filter squeezings to get me started. I'm sure that's why my NitrItes are staying down so well. My ammonia is concerning me though.

Back
Top Bottom