Cycling new 90g - Lower PH naturally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozmo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been fish-less cycling a new 90g sandy substrate, lightly planted with a size-able pre-cycled chunk of driftwood for about 2 months and I can't seem to budge the PH down at all. It is sticking at close to 8.

This was the start...
image-906497365.jpg

I moved from that to this in little over a week...
image-3794082680.jpg

Maybe a little to quick but I couldn't help myself.

Everything I have in there, including half the bio media in the FX5 came from my other 80g (2years established SA/CA Cichlid) tank.

The water I use is beautiful soft-ish 6.85ph rain water from a 10,000L rain water tank. the water is very low in NO3/NO2/NH3/NH4 and seems fairly stable all year round.

The only thing that is new or different in this tank to my other tanks is the substrate which I think is mostly crushed coral. What do you think?
image-4061611014.jpg.

So, my thinking is... The substrate must be causing the PH to raise to nearly 8.

So my question is. What is the best NATURAL way, other than waiting months for the driftwood to take affect, to lower the PH? Should I use peat in the FX5? Will a small CO2 system help?

Any advise would be great as I really want this tank ready ASAP as I have a deadline to rehouse some fish into it so I can move onto my next project of creating a SA dwarf Cichlid aquarium.

Cheers,
ozmo

I don't think peat or tannins from driftwood is going to make a significant dent in the PH levels with that substrate. Plus my tap is fairly hard coming out at 7.8-8.0 and I've yet to have any difficulty keeping anything from discus to SA/CA cichlids...stablity is more important than actual readings.

I should probably also add that this is the first time I'm using Seachem Matrix as opposed to activated carbon. I'm also running Seachem Purigen as I do in all my tanks.

So in this FX5 I have it setup as such...

Level 1 (lowest): Fusion Power Ceramic Media (flower shape)
Level 2 (middle): Fusion Power Ceramic Media (flower shape)
Level 3 (top): Sechem Matix + 200ML Sechem Purigen

I don't think peat or tannins from driftwood is going to make a significant dent in the PH levels with that substrate. Plus my tap is fairly hard coming out at 7.8-8.0 and I've yet to have any difficulty keeping anything from discus to SA/CA cichlids...stablity is more important than actual readings.

So do you think if I do a 50/50 mix of the 6.85PH and the 7.9PH water in the QT tank, give the fish an hour or so each in there and then pop them straight in they'll adjust just fine?

I know I'm probably being a little fussy but I like to know where the weak links are in everything so I can reverse engineer the problem later if one arises.

Thanks again HUKIT for the quick post ;)

Cheers,
ozmo

I would remove the substrate and go with an inert one such as silica or PFS, or if you want black, black blasting sand, all of which are relatively cheap. Driftwood will never alter the pH with that substrate.

The only issue you'll have is on water change day where you may see some flashing for a brief time, but I also don't think it's enough to cause any worries to the fish health IMO.

BillD said:
I would remove the substrate and go with an inert one such as silica or PFS, or if you want black, black blasting sand, all of which are relatively cheap. Driftwood will never alter the pH with that substrate.

See now you've gone and done it ;)

I'm ripping out the substrate today.

Cheers,
ozmo

Back
Top Bottom