cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used the old filter media from a previous tank. But it has been dried out for a while. Does it still provide bacterial benefits?

I used the old filter media from a previous tank. But it has been dried out for a while. Does it still provide bacterial benefits?

Sorry ... BB die out quickly when the media dries ... either way .. by your description they can only survive a few days (in tank water) without nutrients (Ammo and Nitrites) so even if you kept them wet ... anything more than a week and the BB would've died.

Okay, but the tank has all pre used gravel that has stayed wet. And 1.5 out of the 29 gals is pre cycled water. Those will help a lot right?

tarpon said:
Okay, but the tank has all pre used gravel that has stayed wet. And 1.5 out of the 29 gals is pre cycled water. Those will help a lot right?

How long has the gravel been without fish or another ammonia source? I've never seen scientific proof, but I agree with jcolon that a week is max before you see significant die off of the beneficial bacteria without an ammo source.

The water will have virtually no impact. There are almost negligible amounts of beneficial bacteria in the water column. Be warned though, water from an established tank will appear cycled simply because it will have the results of the previous tank it was in...but without it's own source of beneficial bacteria.

Does the tank have an ammonia source now? Are you doing a fish-in or fishless cycle?

The gravel actually had fish with it till the day I put it in. Wasn't completely submersed when I first put it in but stayed moist till I added water. I am doing a fish in cycle. I know fishless is more recommended but I already had the fish. And it might sound cruel but I wont be dissapointed if they die bc they are fish bred from fish I caught at my local pond. I know the fish are disease free. So yeah those little guys are my ammonia source.

If the gravel had fish and stayed wet then it should have BB and should help in speeding up cycling of a newer tank.

tarpon said:
The gravel actually had fish with it till the day I put it in. Wasn't completely submersed when I first put it in but stayed moist till I added water. I am doing a fish in cycle. I know fishless is more recommended but I already had the fish. And it might sound cruel but I wont be dissapointed if they die bc they are fish bred from fish I caught at my local pond. I know the fish are disease free. So yeah those little guys are my ammonia source.

To be on the safe side...I'd view it as an unseeded fish-in cycle, but hopefully you'll still have some bacteria in there to help you out.

Water changes and a good brand of water conditioner (like Seachem Prime), will be your fishes best friends. Here's a great guide to follow-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Okay so the fish are only 3, 1 inch fish. Is that a good enough ammonia source? And do left over food flakes generate ammonia?

tarpon said:
Okay so the fish are only 3, 1 inch fish. Is that a good enough ammonia source? And do left over food flakes generate ammonia?

Yes and yes. However, your focus during a fish-in cycle should be keeping ammonia and nitrIte levels as low as possible...not considering ways to increase it.

The guide will give you phenomenal advice. Make sure you have a quality test kit and a good bottle of water conditioner near by at all times.

BB responds to Bio-load so as much as your fish puts out is what will grow. Others have used food flakes to produce more ammo, but that could quickly over pollute the tank. I'd say just feed enough flakes for your fish and let them do the rest. If you decide to add more stock later (a little at a time is best) the BB will respond to the increased bioload and multiply.

Just on a quick personal side-note. We're probably already on the same page and this doesn't need to be mentioned, but remember that even though the fish in the tank may not be considered the permanent residents, do your best to provide a safe home for them while they are in your tank. If a fish is used for cycling and the ammonia and nitrItes are not kept as low as possible...they don't simply die...they suffer during the process. If your goal is to cycle your tank as quickly as possible so you can move in other fish, consider returning the fish to their natural environment and fishless cycling. It can be faster and more efficient than fish-in cycling, and will allow you to have the fish you want to keep without sacrificing others to achieve it. I'm not trying to lecture and I'm sure you already plan on looking after them...but I just wanted to present another option :)

I know I want to be kind to them. I've had 3 generations of those minnows in my tank.
So I should do large water changes to keep ammonia at a safe level? And would it help more if I stuck already cycled gravel from another tank in the filter? This would seed the media and speed it up right?

tarpon said:
I know I want to be kind to them. I've had 3 generations of those minnows in my tank.
So I should do large water changes to keep ammonia at a safe level? And would it help more if I stuck already cycled gravel from another tank in the filter? This would seed the media and speed it up right?

I knew you'd take care of them...it's just always worth a mention :)

The recommended process of fish-in cycling is to do however many water changes are necessary to keep ammonia and nitrIte under .25 at all times until the tank stabilizes and those levels stay at zero on their own. The size and time you do pwc's can't be measured on a clock...just make sure you have a quality liquid test kit like an API Master kit, and let your readings dictate how much and how often to change water.

The VAST majority of beneficial bacteria live in filter media, so anything taken from an actual filter will be the most helpful. Gravel will help, but if you can get an old cartridge, mechanical filter media, etc...thats best. With enough seeded media, you can potentially insta-cycle the tank...just make sure you keep watch on the tank it is removed from to ensure it doesn't cause a mini-cycle in there due to the media being removed.

It's all in the guide I linked, but feel free to post any questions you have. All of us here are happy to help you and your fish :)

I don't have any already seeded cartridges :( I just replaced the cartridge on my other tank and trashed the old one w/o thinking. Hopefully some gravel in the filters (I'm running two) will seed them just the same

tarpon said:
I don't have any already seeded cartridges :( I just replaced the cartridge on my other tank and trashed the old one w/o thinking. Hopefully some gravel in the filters (I'm running two) will seed them just the same

Anything will help, filter media is just the most efficient.

Do me a favor and check out the link in my signature. You can ignore the rest since it's about fishless cycling, but there's a piece in the FAQ section that covers filter replacement...it'll save me some typing, lol. It's probably info you already have, but worth brushing up on :)

I already read the link you gave me earlier... annd I can't see a signature? I'm using the app.

Back
Top Bottom