Cycling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevencharlie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 25 gallon tank set up and running for about a month now. I have been using household ammonia to cycle the tank, Seachem prime for declorination, and have tried Tetra Safestart, Fluval Biological enhancer, and API Stress Zyme. I check the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels every other day, and the pH about twice a week simply because it has been pretty stable at 7.6 the whole time. The ammonia levels have stayed at about 4 ppm and there has been 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate the entire time. I'm using a Fluval C3 for filtration, in its standard configuration. The temperature is right around 80 F. I do not have access to any seeding material, the closest I was able to get was a piece of driftwood out of a tank at Petco.

My questions are:

-Should it be taking this long to get a nitrite reading.

-Would it be helpful if I replaced the charcoal bag in my filter with either biomax or c-nodes.

Does the ammonia have surfactants in it? (You'll see bubbles if you shake the bottle.) That will kill the bacteria before it can get established. Any dyes or perfumes in the ammonia will likely be detrimental as well.

No, no bubbles when i shake it and, its completely clear. And as far as I can tell it only smells like ammonia

You could try adding bacteria. I've had success with Dr. Tim's One & Only. The downside is that not many places carry it, and you'll likely have to pay for shipping from SoCal.

That's what I thought I was doing with Tetra Safe Start, Fluval Biological Enhancer, and API Stress Zyme. And I have read mixed reviews of efficacy for all of them including the Dr. Tim's product. And having spent close to $100 on these products already, I'm weary of spending more on something that also might not work.

Back
Top Bottom