Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’m upgrading to a 75g from my 29g in a few weeks. I was wondering what the quickest way to cycle is? I have a quarantine tank but I don’t want to displace my animals for too long, so I was just wondering what the best way to go would be?

Just take some substrate and add it to the tank and put the current filter media into the new filter and let it run for a day maybe and test the water, should cycle it pretty fast because the bacteria's already there

Just take some substrate and add it to the tank and put the current filter media into the new filter and let it run for a day maybe and test the water, should cycle it pretty fast because the bacteria's already there

Okay, thank you!

You shouldn't need to bring over any sand. If you are bringing everything over from a previously cycled tank, you can just move it over without issue. You will be able to add any dry rock in afterwards and it will populate with beneficial bacteria. If you want to add any uncycled 'live' rock, you may want to cycle it in a seperate container to try to minimize gunk into the new system.

You shouldn't need to bring over any sand. If you are bringing everything over from a previously cycled tank, you can just move it over without issue. You will be able to add any dry rock in afterwards and it will populate with beneficial bacteria. If you want to add any uncycled 'live' rock, you may want to cycle it in a seperate container to try to minimize gunk into the new system.

Do you think I should just get all new sand and not bother with transferring it over, or should I save some money by bringing over what I can?

Also I was just going to continue with dry rock regardless, it’s cheaper and there’s no chance of worms or anything so like it.

I’m also interested in trying out a sump.. but it seems very intimidating. I have a bunch of extra tanks I can use, I just don’t want the threat of water spilled all over my floor & I don’t want to drill into my tank. What is the easiest sump set up that I can have?

I would normally say get all new sand, but I believe that this is a pretty fresh setup and that it can be reused.
Don't be intimidated by a sump. I would suggest a CPR HOB overflow if you don't want to drill. That way you can use an aqualifter to help prevent siphon loss.

I would normally say get all new sand, but I believe that this is a pretty fresh setup and that it can be reused.
Don't be intimidated by a sump. I would suggest a CPR HOB overflow if you don't want to drill. That way you can use an aqualifter to help prevent siphon loss.

Okay awesome!

Would there still need to be some sort of filtration even with the overflow box, or is that it? I’ve never had something like this before so sorry for all the questions!

Sorry, would the box be on top of the sump, meaning as well as having it?

Back
Top Bottom