cyprichromis leptosoma id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its definitely a Cyprichromis leptosoma its hard to tell what locational variant it actually is because there are several with darker yellow/orange tail and quite frankly if the LFS doesn't know then it's more than likely some farm raised hybrids. My rule of thumb for tangs or other Africans is unless the store knows the variant I tend to stay away from them.

Mogurako said:
its definitely a Cyprichromis leptosoma its hard to tell what locational variant it actually is because there are several with darker yellow/orange tail and quite frankly if the LFS doesn't know then it's more than likely some farm raised hybrids. My rule of thumb for tangs or other Africans is unless the store knows the variant I tend to stay away from them.

I figured as much but, had I got them (or any cyp) as f1 or f0, I wouldn't know the difference anyway...and, the only proof I would have of their position would be the word of a stranger.

I'm more than pleased with these guys, as a keeper.

Personally, I don't think that they are (necessarily) the product of hybridization but, rather, their position just lost and a great distance from whatever imported stock they originally came from.

Gillie said:
Blue flash are definitely not a hybrid, I am friends with a breeder that brought some wilds in some time ago and they are the same fish.

I realize that they are not a hybrid strain I was saying unless the place/ person you get them from has collection papers or knows what geographical variant and generation they are you run the risk of a farm raised fish that could be a hybrid or so inbreed that it's not a very healthy line anymore.

Back
Top Bottom