Damselfly larvae in MY TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy12

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning i was doing my routine weekly water changes, i scooped out all the feeder guppies in the 3 1/2 gal. tank ( i know way 2 small )( on quarinteen ) and saw they had some fry so i scooped them out too. then i saw this little shrimp thing... it creeped me out so i had my brother come back and he thought it was HYDRA. SO I WAS FREAKING OUT :!: :!: :!: :crazyeyes: So i was checking out a magazine that had aquatic pest in it... it was a huge picture, it said a Damselfly larvea will turn up 2 be 2 in. long... have a hinged jaw that can catch fish up to its size :!: OMG ill post pictures in a little bit

I know how you feel, I had two in my tank a few months ago. What color are they and did you buy any live plants recently? I would get them out as quickly as possible.

I too want to see. I've noticed some weird things crawling around my tank too. I'd swear the closest thing they resemble is white roly polies and they hide in the gravel when the lights go on.

I can't see it very well either, but I'm almost positive I had one in my tank a while back. It was actually dead though and the shrimp I had in there were eating it so I left it be.

friendy you want to get the damselfly larvae out of the tank soon as in killing them or throwing them in a pond?

damselflys are just skinny dragonflys...and are harmless, unless your a mosquito larvae or a mosquito

I love damselflies ! Please try and save them - they are mosquito eaters, gotta love em ! If there's a pond nearby just put them in - that was a great idea hc8719.

hc8719 said:
friendy you want to get the damselfly larvae out of the tank soon as in killing them or throwing them in a pond?

damselflys are just skinny dragonflys...and are harmless, unless your a mosquito larvae or a mosquito

For some reason I was thinking that he had dragonfly larvae in his tank.

This is what the dragonfly larvae in my tank looked like except the ones in my tank were transparent. They will attack and kill small fish.

dragonfly.jpg

friendly, you had dragonfly larvae in your tank? so a dragonfly actually flew into your house, and took the time to lay eggs in your tank?

i dont see damselfly larvae eatting anything but maybe fry

That's crazy but it still doesn't beat having worm leeches in your tank , it took me a month to get rid of the infestation and it cost me 1 danio which I found it tearing up.

hc8719 said:
so what exactly became of your dragonfly nymph, friendly?

Unfortunately both of them died in the jar I was keeping them in. I have no idea why though.

Back
Top Bottom