Dang Banana Plant!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had trouble at first with mine too. Mine eventually lost the "bananas" and rooted themselves into the substrate. Now I get leaves going everywhere. They're about 4 years old now. My loaches love resting on them

DragonFish71 said:
I had trouble at first with mine too. Mine eventually lost the "bananas" and rooted themselves into the substrate. Now I get leaves going everywhere. They're about 4 years old now. My loaches love resting on them

Oh really? How long fid it tank for yours to start keeping its leaves and growing them to the top?

Ok, i thinkni might know whats happening. I have lots of hornwort growing on the surface, could that be blocking out light for other plants?

My banana plants shot up lily pads to the surface of the tank every few days, I started cutting them off and eventually the bananas rotted but it stayed rooted and dnow it has nice small leaves on it.

Can i have a pic of one of yours? I am mad mine hasnt done this!! Haha do you guys have high light?

Mumma.of.two said:
That's one sad looking little plant. :(

I agree!!! But he has grown that little white root on the bottom left...not much to be proud of lol. Think i should trim back my horneort in this pic? Could it be blocking his light?! He is in the right, behind the crypt

I agree!!! But he has grown that little white root on the bottom left...not much to be proud of lol. Think i should trim back my horneort in this pic? Could it be blocking his light?! He is in the right, behind the crypt

Wouldn't hurt. That little root shows it's making progress, so that's good! I would trim off anything that looks dead so it can focus on getting nutrients to healthy leaves. I'd also straighten the poor thing out so it's growing straight;) and then make sure the bananas are partly in the substrate.

Gboy66 said:

Worth a try.

Coleallensmom said:
Wouldn't hurt. That little root shows it's making progress, so that's good! I would trim off anything that looks dead so it can focus on getting nutrients to healthy leaves. I'd also straighten the poor thing out so it's growing straight;) and then make sure the bananas are partly in the substrate.

Nice, will do! Hey guys/gals, i have another question, kind of not related though, but i dont really want to create another thread for it.

*mod edit* Make a new thread for it. -jetajockey

Last edited:
Noooooo!!!! The new leaf it sortof rotting! It is getting alot more light, but still wont cooperate! Would roottabs work? How much would it be to replace the bulbs?

Could try pulling it out of the substrate and floating it. If it has no leaves it probably won't float so you will have to tie it up to something. If it gets better then replant it and buy new bulbs. Mine do wonderfully just wandering around the tank.

blert said:
Could try pulling it out of the substrate and floating it. If it has no leaves it probably won't float so you will have to tie it up to something. If it gets better then replant it and buy new bulbs. Mine do wonderfully just wandering around the tank.

Ok, ill try this. How does it float though? Mine has alot of roots and bananas

Back
Top Bottom