DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well the sump is complete, just siliconed the final baffle in about an hour ago, so everything is drying now. Skimmer chamber is 13", Fuge is 14" and the return chamber is 6". I think it turned out well... now hopefully when i go to water test it in a couple days its okay lol :)

alright, tank is completely clean now(other than a lil bit of water in the overflow that i cant get to) stand is 100% painted and i finished my sump today :) now onto plumbing... yikessss

heres a few updated pics! and also the accumulated live rock i have gotten recently, not even sure how many pounds it is, but the 4 pieces on the right weigh prob 6-10lbs each

Attachments

• Accumulated LR.jpg
    Accumulated LR.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Finished Product.jpg
    Finished Product.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Sump Bubble Trap.jpg
    Sump Bubble Trap.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 124
DanS180 said:
heres a few updated pics! and also the accumulated live rock i have gotten recently, not even sure how many pounds it is, but the 4 pieces on the right weigh prob 6-10lbs each

I'm sure that this is somewhere in this 24 page thread, but I don't remember: how many gallons is the sump? Just curious cuz I'm planning on a 125g within the next year and wanna make a sump for it. That sump looks great!!

Beengirl said:
I'm sure that this is somewhere in this 24 page thread, but I don't remember: how many gallons is the sump? Just curious cuz I'm planning on a 125g within the next year and wanna make a sump for it. That sump looks great!!

Aw thank you! The sump is 30g.

Gave my brother my 30 gallon reef tank to use as the sump for his 75. Turned out pretty nice. He has a refugium in it, too and loves it.

CorallineAlgae said:
Gave my brother my 30 gallon reef tank to use as the sump for his 75. Turned out pretty nice. He has a refugium in it, too and loves it.

Awesome, hope mine works out well.. looks good, just don't know how it'll perform haha

I know ive gotten help from a few people on this matter but can ANYONE show me how youd plumb this tank if it were your own? i have no clue what im doing and may have to do this on my own, heres a drawn out diagram, please help if u can :/

Attachments

• Plumbing Idea.jpg
    Plumbing Idea.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 380
DanS180 said:
I know ive gotten help from a few people on this matter but can ANYONE show me how youd plumb this tank if it were your own? i have no clue what im doing and may have to do this on my own, heres a drawn out diagram, please help if u can :/

The intake on the bottom probably should be capped off. I'd actually cap off both of the lower returns as well. Whoever drilled the tank went way to far for my taste. I'd use the overflow as the only drain, the overflow return as the only return. That way you'll only need one check valve and you'll have no possibility of water back siphoning out of the tank from the lower drill sites. I'm a BIG believer in making a reef as safe as possible. This is just what I would do.

The guy who drilled the tank must've been concerned, or paranoid, about dead spots behind his rock wall. Unless you plan on having a mountain of rock, going with a single drain and return would be the safest way to plumb the tank. Even if you have loads of rock, one powerhead behind the rock would give plenty of flow in the back.

CorallineAlgae said:
The intake on the bottom probably should be capped off. I'd actually cap off both of the lower returns as well. Whoever drilled the tank went way to far for my taste. I'd use the overflow as the only drain, the overflow return as the only return. That way you'll only need one check valve and you'll have no possibility of water back siphoning out of the tank from the lower drill sites. I'm a BIG believer in making a reef as safe as possible. This is just what I would do.

The guy who drilled the tank must've been concerned, or paranoid, about dead spots behind his rock wall. Unless you plan on having a mountain of rock, going with a single drain and return would be the safest way to plumb the tank. Even if you have loads of rock, one powerhead behind the rock would give plenty of flow in the back.

Hmm.. well maybe I'll block off the intake on the right side and the return on the left side.. I like having the one return in the middle.. if I kept the middle return and then my overflow, how would u do it?

DanS180 said:
Hmm.. well maybe I'll block off the intake on the right side and the return on the left side.. I like having the one return in the middle.. if I kept the middle return and then my overflow, how would u do it?

The drain would be standard, into the drain side of the sump into a sock or pantyhose. For the return, I'd hard plumb it with PVC. Go out of the pump to an elbow up then out to the back of the tank then up again then a "T" to each return. Make sure you use a good quality check valve on the return that goes into the low return. That stops the water from draining out from the display tank into the sump when the power is out or you turn the main pump off to clean it. Use a gate valve on each return line after the "T" so you can control the flow to each.

You could always soft plumb it with flex hose in the same way but you wouldn't need the elbows. It's really up to the person. I've done it both ways and been happy with each result. You can easily call BRS to get them to put together all the parts you'll need to do it either way.

CorallineAlgae said:
The drain would be standard, into the drain side of the sump into a sock or pantyhose. For the return, I'd hard plumb it with PVC. Go out of the pump to an elbow up then out to the back of the tank then up again then a "T" to each return. Make sure you use a good quality check valve on the return that goes into the low return. That stops the water from draining out from the display tank into the sump when the power is out or you turn the main pump off to clean it. Use a gate valve on each return line after the "T" so you can control the flow to each.

You could always soft plumb it with flex hose in the same way but you wouldn't need the elbows. It's really up to the person. I've done it both ways and been happy with each result. You can easily call BRS to get them to put together all the parts you'll need to do it either way.

Don't elbows restrict the max GPH from the pump?? I know I'm gonna have to have some T's but should I use as little of elbows as possible?

Back
Top Bottom