DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Don't elbows restrict the max GPH from the pump?? I know I'm gonna have to have some T's but should I use as little of elbows as possible?

Yes one 90* piece equals the same head loss as one vertical foot.

It does. If you want the maximum output possible either use rounded elbows, two 45s, or go with flex hose. I never worry about flow loss for a tank when the sump is in the stand. It's so close anyway. Most of my flow issues were do to having to much flow through the sump surprisingly.

CorallineAlgae said:
It does. If you want the maximum output possible either use rounded elbows, two 45s, or go with flex hose. I never worry about flow loss for a tank when the sump is in the stand. It's so close anyway. Most of my flow issues were do to having to much flow through the sump surprisingly.

Ahh gotcha. Well thank you guys! Been a big help! I'll hopefully have the plumbing on this thing done sometime this week, waiting on my friend to gimme a hand lol

Not at all. You may even be able to get softer "rounded" elbows from BRS. If you do it well you'll never regret it. You should be able to find a few helpful YouTube videos to give you an insightful reference on the right way handle it.

well heres everything i got today
(5) 3/4" 90deg elbows
(2) 3/4" 45deg elbows
(1) 3/4" Tee
(2) 3/4" Ball Valves
(1) 1" 45deg elbow
(2) 1" plugs for the other 2 bulkheads that im gonna eliminate
(1) 3/4" thread->slip for back of bulkhead
-15 ft of 3/4" PVC pipe(better to have more than not enough lol
(2) different types of PVC Cement(1 is regular kind, other is called Rain-R-Shine)

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 76
oh and i did my first leak test on my sump today... good and not good haha leak tested the skimmer chamber, held water, poured water into the first bubble trap baffle and leaked into the return chamber and the fuge chamber :/ so i siliconed the crap outta the walls again and will try again tomorrow

Sounds like your nearly ready to get some water running though it :)

Sounds like your nearly ready to get some water running though it :)

oh trust me, i cant friggin wait to put water in it! lol but im still not close to doing that, i was gonna get most of the plumbing done tonight but i took a chunk outta my knuckle on one of the glass baffles and it wont stop bleeding lol oh and i still need to get a RO/DI unit lol:facepalm:

I haven't glued anything together but how does it look so far? This is pretty much what I was thinking for the return. 2 ball valves to control flow

ForumRunner_20121112_205412.jpg

I would have ran the majority of that above the sump in the stand. How you suppose to use the valves when the tank is in place lol

Mrc8858 said:
I would have ran the majority of that above the sump in the stand. How you suppose to use the valves when the tank is in place lol

I can still use them when its up against the wall. It's gonna sit off the wall a little bit anyways bc of the bulkheads, n besides, don't really have all that much room in the stand with the 30G sump in there lol

Couldn't you run it along the top on the sump trim and not go up over and down the back.

Mrc8858 said:
Couldn't you run it along the top on the sump trim and not go up over and down the back.

Yeah I probably could but then it'd make it crowded under there.. plus there's a support beam in the middle of the stand that lines up with the middle bulkhead so id actually have to make it a few diff angles to make that work.. more elbows and whatnot

Does it have to go down though? How come not just straight across.

The side without a valve, on the left,why does it come up and over the sump before running across.

Inside the sump right? I'm talking about the pvc running down the.back of the sump before running the length of the sump to the T fitting.

Mrc8858 said:
Inside the sump right? I'm talking about the pvc running down the.back of the sump before running the length of the sump to the T fitting.

Thats the center return bulkhead? Lol sorry I'm confused

Back
Top Bottom