DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't worry about it but its gonna be pretty opinionated. Obviously though it doesn't seem to be effecting your cycle at all haha.

I wouldn't worry about it but its gonna be pretty opinionated. Obviously though it doesn't seem to be effecting your cycle at all haha.

Lol guess we'll find out.. will the nitrates reduce on its own tho bc of the LR and chaeto in my fuge??

I agree on both counts. I cycled with 60 lbs of live rock, skimmer was on since day one and it cycled in 9 days. I'm sure others will say never turn it on during the cycle. I didn't mean to open a can of worms when I asked. Was just wondering.

DanS180 said:
Lol guess we'll find out.. will the nitrates reduce on its own tho bc of the LR and chaeto in my fuge??

It's going to take a very large water change to get your nitrates anywhere near safe after the cycle. Beyond that you'll have to see if your rock, sand and refugium do any denitrification. I don't know how to definitively predict it. Everybody's system is different.

Well, macro algae will consume some of the nitrates...but when cycling you are causing larger than normal production of them through the denitrification cycle. The cheato will not consume all of it and you will still require a large water change upon completion of the cycle.

Well yeah i figured i would still have to do a huge water change, there's no escaping that. I was just curious as to how much the macro algae would actually consume.. obviously no precise answer can be made, just curiousity :)

Did you rinse your sand out if so how? I am about to set up my new tank...

Did you rinse your sand out if so how? I am about to set up my new tank...

Quickest way I've found is either a pillow case or use a 5 gallon bucket. I like the bucket less mess. What I do is fill it about a 1/4 of the way at a time with my sand and I run it in my tub with the water flowing in. While its pouring in and overflowing slowly ill just stir the sand with my hand to get all the fine stuff into the water coloum and overflow out.

Quickest way I've found is either a pillow case or use a 5 gallon bucket. I like the bucket less mess. What I do is fill it about a 1/4 of the way at a time with my sand and I run it in my tub with the water flowing in. While its pouring in and overflowing slowly ill just stir the sand with my hand to get all the fine stuff into the water coloum and overflow out.

+1 that's the exact way I did it :)

And you do that with RO water or tap water?

Just regular tap water. I don't have an rodi setup on my tub :p

Day 12 results.. weird ones again.
Ammo 0-.25ppm(closer to .25 tho)
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 80-160ppm
Salinity 1.024

Here's an updated FTS.. not much has changed but figure everyone loves pictures :)
ForumRunner_20121210_091053.jpg

Heres the screen top

ForumRunner_20121210_091058.jpg

Looking good but now you aren't ever gonna get no work done with it next to your desk haha

Back
Top Bottom