Dario dario in 5.5 gallon question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettagirl03

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5.5 gallon tank that has two plants (one anubis nana, one water wisteria), a plastic reptile driftwood thingy and houses my betta fish Rainbow. He is reaching near the end of his expected life span (I've had him for nearly 4 years) and I want ideas on what to do with the tank after the poor old fishy goes to fishy heaven. while researching I came across the dario dario (not sure of scientific name) and was wondering how many of them I could keep in the tank. Would one male and and one female work or two males, or would I have to keep just one? I'd really like a pair. How do I care for these fish? what kind of food do they like? No pet/fish store near me stocks them, what are some good, trusted online sites I could buy them from? If I could put this cute fishies in the tank, I will heavily plant it. I'm thinking some smaller swords, more anubis, frogbit, and hornwort? Maybe java fern?:thanks:

A pair would work, but make absolutely sure that is a pair, and not two males. I have found females are hard to come by. Make sure the tank is pretty heavily planted. They are shy fish.

A couple minutes ago I just found Coursair's 10 gal shrimp garden (Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Coursair's Album: 10g Shrimp Jungle) and was wondering if I could use all of those fish minus the threadfin rainbows. How many of each fish could I have?

My tank was quite overstocked. But I would not do that in a 5.5g.

I'd say just the CPDs and Dario dario ( that IS the scientific name for Scarlet Badis ). And not the other fish.

Maybe 5 CPDs
1-2 Scarlet Badis
1 Nerite
As your final list.

And the record for a Betta is 10yrs in a 10g under perfect conditions. Just offer him real or Silk plants to rest on.

I'd say just the CPDs and Dario dario ( that IS the scientific name for Scarlet Badis ). And not the other fish.

Maybe 5 CPDs
1-2 Scarlet Badis
1 Nerite
As your final list.

And the record for a Betta is 10yrs in a 10g under perfect conditions. Just offer him real or Silk plants to rest on.
That sounds like a plan- thanks!

Oh and on the subject of my betta, he LOVES resting on his anubis.

I would just get the one Badis if you're also putting CPDs in there. A 5.5g is deceptively small.
Yeah I've decided I want to go with just one badis- I don't want babies or to risk two fighting.

The tank is small, i know- but it's a huge improvment for my betta from his 1 gallon. :)

Maybe 5 CPDs
1-2 Scarlet Badis
1 Nerite
As your final list.

Would i also be able to put in a few red cherry shrimp for cleanup?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom