Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe a 135 could support, with the proper rock work, most smaller tangs, even yellows if you have a way to move them if they get too big or aggressive. Hippos grow really fast and get pretty huge, purples are a nice $$ tang, Kole is a no brainer. Stay away from powders, clowns and a few others. I have found the powders to be very sensitive and clowns can be flat out mean. JMO ;)

Last edited:
Current tang population:
3-yellow, 10 years old, I forget exactly.
1-Kole, 4 years
1- Sailfin, 8 years
1- Hippo, three years and already at 5"

1- 3" clown tang in exile that is possessed by demons.

So, not so many. I would have more with more space.

Well it's been about a week since I introduced my new scopace tang ,CUC and lawn mower blennies to my tank,... The tang and one of the blennies have become buddies and are always seen grazing the tank together , they've done a remarkable job so far depleting the forest of hair algae.
My buddy at our lfs also mimicked your thoughts that a kole would be the best tang to try with the scopace ,... He also suggested that the blue hippos may work well too.,...says everything else is 50/50 at best,..Within another week or two I'll slowly gather another small group of fish to add,.. Maybe a few female anthias's to start with (?).
The peppermint shrimp and banded shrimp have not been seen since being introduced to the tank but that's understandable considering the tonnage of rock work in the tank.
As always I'm open for suggestions and any ideas,...thanks,Dary

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would suggest from my experience that hippos grow FAST. Mine is two years old and already 5-6" and not slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm kinda getting a little second wind re my aquarium after a couple of months of negative events which quite frankly took a little wind outta me ! Water parameters are getting back to " normal" and I've seem to have gotten the upper hand on my green hair algae situation thanks to some new gfo ,my new tang,lawn mower blennies ,weed pulling etc.
I just ordered my first Hanna test gizmo ( alk ) ,a salifert calcium kit and a pinpoint ph monitor as all of my other kits ( Red Sea ) are getting old and not trust worthy IMO .
I'm suppose to get a few lyretail anthias's today via overnite fed ex however there's been no updates via their tracking page since yesterday ( Florida ) and it's suppose to be here in San Diego this afternoon,.... Hmmmm , I guess I'll put a candle in the window ,uncork a cold one and just wait it out.
Hopefully, things will get back to where they were before and I can reestablish some of the pricer corals that died off earlier ,... I do have a few cheapie frags headed my way as a test,... Green star polyps,a small torch and a little zoa colony,... I've got my fingers crossed that I'm on the right track again !

The order from fed ex arrived late yesterday a day late but luckily the lyretail anthias's and the six line wrasse all made it safe and sound ,However the poor torch coral was beyond dead and my god did it ever stink !!!!' I contacted the seller via email and sent in a couple of pictures and they said they'll refund me.
The new critters have all seemed to have settled in together quite nicely and so far so good. I stopped by my lfs on the way home and picked up a couple of little zoa frags and another frag or two along with some missis in hopes that the new critters would eat it.
A few months back I bought a few brittle stars for the tank but had never seen any since the day they we're put in , but today a snail was making its way by a monti coral and from under the coral came out multiple arms waving around,..apparently mr starfish does not like mr snail coming so close to his lair.
The new test kits also arrived today so now I can figure out just how far from ideal my water really is ,...all in all a good day at Dary's reef :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404429767.290360.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404429845.071644.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404429875.264919.jpg

Crossed for you too. Things are just fine. Still keeping the algae at bay in my 55 from only distilled water use. Derasa clam is still alive, but stressed. Mandarin passed when I cut back on feedings. Survived a riot at work. Got married. You know, the usual stuff people do in a month.

Crossed for you too. Things are just fine. Still keeping the algae at bay in my 55 from only distilled water use. Derasa clam is still alive, but stressed. Mandarin passed when I cut back on feedings. Survived a riot at work. Got married. You know, the usual stuff people do in a month.

Wow !!! Sounds like quite a month :-/ Congrats on the marriage!!!! ,.. Hope she's a reefer too!! Tank wise , it's always a challenge to keep things at bay ,.maybe mike,Greg ,Doug and some others may have the expertise to ward off disasters before they happen but to us common civilians every day's another adventure just to keep things on a straight line without blowing things up.
Riot at work huh? I'm sure there's a story there somewhere :)

Last edited:
I sure wish your kind words were true in my case. I try to walk a pretty narrow path otherwise I get lost in the woods. Do anything long enough and it starts to look easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank has steadily started to return to " normal" ,.. The green hair algae forest has subsided into a barren wasteland,..the parameters are almost normal again, the corals have seemingly got a boost to them and appear to be healthier and fuller.,all in all everything's heading in the right direction again.
I added a few more brittle stars to the system along with a zoa colony and a couple of Gsp covered rocks to brightenThings up.
The Hanna alk monitor that I recently received from brs has some serious issues and has to be sent back for one that actually works correctly , they were cool about It and I should be receiving my new one onThursday.
I tried taking a few pictures yesterday but under the led's you know how the Pic's come out,...but you'll get the general idea anyhowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405429667.890280.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405429695.618032.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405429719.126209.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405429756.772085.jpg

Back
Top Bottom