Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
I would enjoy my birds more if I were partially deaf (just a joke...) but I could still watch the fish and when my McCaw decided to do his turbojet engine imitation, I could just smile ;-) FYI, buying a pet that is going to outlive you and your next of kin is a humbling responsibility. I got Simon about the same time I started reefing when he was a chick. But I guess there is no reason our corals can't outlive us as well. There is no expiration date on them.

Amen isn't that the truth.. I enjoy my bird as much as my dogs.. not so much the ol ladies cats ..shh I didn't say that!

Dary421 said:
Yeah maybe but I don't have any parrots,...just a terrier, fish and a great girl friend ( ..But That's where the patience may come in :-/ ). ...

Sorry,I got you and Gregg mixed up.

Well it's been 24 hours now since I started on my new experiment with the LED lighting fixtures... So far all the corals look very happy and vibrant .. Believe me when I tell you that these pictures ( iPhone ) DO NOT show the amazing colors that the tank and corals have taken... Even the mushrooms are inflated and looking swell ( pun intended)... So.., for the first 24 hours into this., I am totally thrilled with the results...,

Wow! Simply beautiful!
Anyone who's ever had an aquarium and tried to capture it's essence in a picture knows that pictures NEVER do justice to the aquarium.

It looks like a black light poster. :)

Do they glow like that in person or is it just an illusion due to the picture? Sorry I'm a FW guy. Either way, it looks amazing! (y)

DrConnie said:
Wow! Simply beautiful!
Anyone who's ever had an aquarium and tried to capture it's essence in a picture knows that pictures NEVER do justice to the aquarium.

Thank you,...The colors and the shimmer that the lighting produces is amazing,....maybe I'll have to shoot some pictures with my Sony cameras to see if that'll show things better,...but it's a beautiful thing so far

Tarkus2112 said:
It looks like a black light poster. :)

Do they glow like that in person or is it just an illusion due to the picture? Sorry I'm a FW guy. Either way, it looks amazing! (y)

Honestly,...the corals glow exactly like they were under a black light,.....on this particular fixture I'm able to adjust the lights from white and bright to blue,...this is at the half way point ,..... The colors in the pictures are soooooooooo subdued as to what the eye actually see's,

Excellent. It is too early yet to make conclusions, but so far so good. My experience has been the same and I am on two years since the switch over. Again, MH is the gold standard for SPS coral growth, no argument. But I am willing to limit my specimens to those the thrive under LED because MH has too may down sides. That's why I am taking careful note of what grows under LED and what doesn't. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't grow, but I don't have the extensive colonies of SPS some on this forum have

Gregcoyote said:
Excellent. It is too early yet to make conclusions, but so far so good. My experience has been the same and I am on two years since the switch over. Again, MH is the gold standard for SPS coral growth, no argument. But I am willing to limit my specimens to those the thrive under LED because MH has too may down sides. That's why I am taking careful note of what grows under LED and what doesn't. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't grow, but I don't have the extensive colonies of SPS some on this forum have

Yeah I know its way too early to tell,..but when I came home from work and saw all the corals fully extended and looking beautiful, I knew I'd made the right decision getting the LED's,..... I've got my fingers crossed that everything will work out,...and as for Ryan and jsmith,... Dary's really happy , believe it or not!!!

Dary421 said:
Yeah I know its way too early to tell,..but when I came home from work and saw all the corals fully extended and looking beautiful, I knew I'd made the right decision getting the LED's,..... I've got my fingers crossed that everything will work out,...and as for Ryan and jsmith,... Dary's really happy , believe it or not!!!

How are your temps?

Gregcoyote said:
Same as your previous setup?

It was 80.1 yesterday,..... But it's been hot out here and I had forgotten to close the door to the outside so the temperature rose accordingly ,...it's been slowly coming down so we'll just have to see when everything settles in,...normally it's around 76-78 degrees

I think it is okay. Conventional wisdom is that some corals can stand pretty high temperatures and some can not. 86 was where I had my die off when my chiller died a few years back. I prefer 76-78 as there is better oxygen saturation in the water. I run at 78 and I don't let it vary 1/2 degree.

Today I turned my back on a colony of these beautiful lavender hairy mushrooms that I had seen at a Lfs that I seldom go to.., as I stated in VG 's bio cube build post.., I had to turn my back to them and pretend I never saw them.., I just wanna make sure that these LED lights don't burn 'em up or something.,I can't believe I walked away from them!!!! .. But maybe in a week or two when everything in my tank finds out where it is and how it's doing , then maybe I can add another colony.., but what I have noticed in the last three or four days under these lights is that some of my mushrooms are still huge but a few of the greenies have shrunken...I did reposition those under a little rock over hang to defuse some of the lighting so we'll see if that makes any difference..., it'll be a small price to pay for the visual effect that these lights put out... Stay tuned more to come I'm sure!!!

Like I said, some of mine got smaller and crinklier, a much more textured surface and they reproduced quite quickly, so they must be healthy. My best guess is the PAR is higher and they don't have to deploy as much surface area as they did.

Back
Top Bottom