Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See how this one works first. The higher wattages can have unforeseen effects.

My super cheap one broke on me so I ordered a 2w focusable 450nm one. I will also make a shield for when using it around the fish. Will show video of it in action in my frag tank soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My super cheap one broke on me so I ordered a 2w focusable 450nm one. I will also make a shield for when using it around the fish. Will show video of it in action in my frag tank soon.

Would love to see our on action! So you are a master of reef tanks, airplanes, lasers... what else Greg?! LOL

I'm interested in your ideas on a shield ...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just a piece of black plastic would work. Think of this as a welder. You want to shield the spot it's hitting from eyes. In a fishless system all you need to worry about is your eyes and anyone else in the room.

But in a aquarium with a lot of fishes watching you ., then what ?

Just be careful. About all you can do. You could take a piece of pvc pipe and attach a long handle to it and place it over the area you are lasering.

Just be careful. About all you can do. You could take a piece of pvc pipe and attach a long handle to it and place it over the area you are lasering.

That's exactly what I was thinking too ( scary ) :)

Well,... The laser that Greg had recommended arrived from China and lasted about 5 minutes before becoming worthless ,... The beam of light went from say a # 10 down to a #1 and was barely visible ,...newly charged batteries did not help the situation either,...Obviously , not much aptasia killing went on with that unit :-(. , I did order the same unit that is being featured on utube that comes with the aluminum brief case etc At the same time , it cost a heck of a lot more than the other one that broke ( it's also from China ) fingers crossed that this one will work as advertised . I'll let you know what happens when it arrives .

I also got a lousy one from China, where all of them come from. Bought a fancier one and we will see. They are destine to become illegal if you watched the news tonight. Pilots are complaining everywhere they are getting momentarily blinded by idiots with one of these.

I also got a lousy one from China, where all of them come from. Bought a fancier one and we will see. They are destine to become illegal if you watched the news tonight. Pilots are complaining everywhere they are getting momentarily blinded by idiots with one of these.

Pilots would have nothing to fear from the one that I got !! Greg , how long did yours last ? Doug, hope you have better luck with yours than we did !

I have a green one that has lasted years but doesn't do well in burning aphasia. The blue one was 5mw and wasn't really strong enough, but it did irritate the pests. Went south a few weeks later. I had gotten it for $12 so I didn't expect much. New one was more expensive but 20mw at 450nm. It has a lens to focus it. So that should work better.

I spent a little time this morning with my trusty ol'bottle of aptasia x .... Got rid of some of the big bad nasty looking ones .. Still Waiting on the high dollar laser with the aluminum brief case that I ordered . I sure hope it WILL WORK and last a lot longer than the other one did.
A Report will follow for sure .

I got my laser. I shot an aptasia anemone with it and it didn't seem to phase it. After 30 or so seconds in the same spot, it started to slowly retract. I just ordered this one-
405nm 20mW Foucsable Blue Violet Laser Diode Line Module w AC Adapter Glass Lens | eBay

That's a good one I think. These are laser heads used in wood etching and other low power industrial uses. The Chinese guys add a wall wart and away you go. In a perfect world a 5mw should kill a pest if the tank walls are perfectly clean, the pest is close and the laser is focused. But 20mw will do the trick I suspect. These solid state lasers are LED's. So they are not created equal even though the specs might indicate they are. You use a laser power meter to measure the actual energy output, kind of like a PAR meter. This laser will look dim, but it's not, be careful.
Lasers bring out the five year old in me, when I discovered a magnifying glass turned the sun into a weapon of mass destruction, if your a ant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom