Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll have to ck the paper work when I'm off work... But it works great !! Just letting you know in case your new unit isn't up to par

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Output power 1000mw, 10000mw? 12000mw? Which one is it? Mine is only 20mw....but the color is different. I don't know if that matters or not....Greg?

Really don't know.... That's all the paper work that was included except for some stuff written in Chinese

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

my guess is it has to do with the beam dimension with wider beam being lower energy and focused being the highest??

it does show a wide range on the beam dimension (whatever that is, I'm assuming the width of the beam)

It's missing the last output power statement. If there is no control to ramp the laser output up or down, then it is the power delivered depending on the beam dispersion. Highest power is when the beam is focused. 12000mw = 12 watts is crazy powerful. I think they mistyped a few zeros. But who knows? I have one just like it coming and I don't think it's more than 20mw.

The color is close enough, blue to violet is the most effective killing color.

Last edited:
You might be right on there .... It will easily burn a hole thru a piece of paper a couple of feet away when the beam is focused down to its smallest point .

It's about absorption dude. How much light at a certain frequency do you absorb or reflect back. A weak green laser might pop a red balloon, but not a green one. At these wattages it doesn't mean much, it's annihilating anything it hits and stays on for awhile. Blue just penetrates water best. PAR 1 billion ;-)

Dary, if you want to feel like Luke Skywalker, lay open a black trash bag and hang it like a screen. Put your safety glasses on and have a blast. Nobody unprotected in the room.

Last edited:
It's about absorption dude. How much light at a certain frequency do you absorb or reflect back. A weak green laser might pop a red balloon, but not a green one. At these wattages it doesn't mean much, it's annihilating anything it hits and stays on for awhile. Blue just penetrates water best. PAR 1 billion ;-)

Dary, if you want to feel like Luke Skywalker, lay open a black trash bag and hang it like a screen. Put your safety glasses on and have a blast. Nobody unprotected in the room.

Oh oh ,... Now you've got my curiosity up... I think we have some at work (?) ,... You not a regular on the Big Bang theory are you Greg ? :)

Possibly a fire extinguisher along with other safety protocols??
The last sentence on the paper work caught my eye(and slow but retaining mind) and makes wonder about the whole sentence/ paragraph.
It says "maximum operating time......"Actually length of operating time must not exceed"
I wondered and remembered where I have seen this before.
Probably totally off topic but on a battery charger/jump starter , for vehicles.
You know says 2,10,50,200 amp charger.
It said(the charger)"maximum operating time @ 200amp ; 3 seconds.
I believe damage disclaimers followed for "excessive" use?
How long do they say to point that thing for?????

It can overheat the LED. I would run it in bursts of 5 seconds most of the time.

I love BBT. One of my favorite shows. I am a mix of all of them, except Penny. And Bernadette.

Safety glasses a must before you pick that wicked thing up.

It doesn't so much burn the plastic as it does melt it. Still a pretty cool effect.

Do not let dust fall into your light hole.

LOL

I also believe that there is too many zeros on that output table. From what you described, I think it's a 20mw laser. A 20 watt blue laser makes a beam like the shotgun I posted. But who knows? I ordered the same one. I'll let you know as I have several to compare it too.

I was was pretty skeptical about the whole laser thing at first but this thing changed my mind ,.. Even burned a spot on my wooden cutting board , I can only imagine what it would do to an invasive black widow spider let alone what it does to the aptasia
Pretty interesting tool ,... Sheldon would be proud

So, I just paid 9 bucks with free shipping for a 20mw laser......straight from the motherland of all things cheapo. I hope it performs like yours!

"Sheldon" would have scoffed and pulled out his UV chemical laser, then blown a whole thru the apartment wall.

Back
Top Bottom