Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything in the main tank is doing great,...no major problems at all,..I did add a couple of more monti's ,...as far as " psycho" goes,..he is up and swimming around in the sump this afternoon and was eating too !!! What a tough critter he is,..this is the same trigger that after biting my finger months ago was inadvertently flung outa the tank and landed behind my tank for probably a good 5-7 minutes before being found and returned to the main tank again.
Hopefully he will continue to get his strength back and I can return him to the main tank this weekend where I can watch him to make sure things have settled down,...got my fingers crossed.

ryan-peddle said:
Well eating is a good sign glad to hear it Dary

This triggerfish is one tough puppy!!!! He's looking great and has been eating like a moose,...he'll go back into the main tank Sunday night .got my fins crossed....

Dary421 said:
This triggerfish is one tough puppy!!!! He's looking great and has been eating like a moose,...he'll go back into the main tank Sunday night .got my fins crossed....

Glad to hear it it's amazing how tough some can be and others so delicate

Here's something I've been messing around with for the last couple of week to try and make my weekly water changes a little easier and cleaner.
Using some scrap PVC piping and assorted plumbing left over fittings ., I put together this pump mounted to a piece of PVC with a ball valve that I put into my freshly made saltwater ., the top portion of the unit has a clip that clips to the top of my tanks opening and has a water spreader installed on that.
On the other end of the tank I've made a siphoning off unit with leftover pvc piping and assorted parts ,also with a ball valve attached to it.., to the end of this I have a piece of clear tubing attached to the end so one may suck on it to start the siphon and to make the water flow., this empties into another Identical trash can.
Once your start the pump on one end and the siphon on the other end and by adjusting the flows via the ball valves it's a seemless operation.., water goes into the tank at the exact same rate as its being taken out on the other side.
I'm sure everyone has their own personal way of doing your water changes but for me by using some junk laying around this has made my pwc's quick and easy.
Just tossing out my little project that might give someone else an idea about building their own.
I had to put "psycho " back into the refugium again this morning after the bully trigger went after him again.., other than that everything's status quo

Attachments

• image-1136040883.jpg
    image-1136040883.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 192
  • image-4123052673.jpg
    image-4123052673.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 224
  • image-3466331138.jpg
    image-3466331138.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 184
  • image-1515633331.jpg
    image-1515633331.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 180
Well the water changing system is very cool

What's gonna go down with the bully I would assume a re home? Not really worth losing your favorite trigger

Gregcoyote said:
Do you have a license for that thing, or a doctors order? Looks like something I use to own in college.... ;-)

Lol,..you should have seen some of the " aquarium refillers" we made in the 70's ,..wow!! ha ha... But, Realistically ,..this works really well for me and saves alot of cleanup afterwards,....I'm going to install a garden hose hookup to the bottom of the trash can that receives the old water and all I'll have to do is open a valve and run the old water outside.

ryan-peddle said:
Well the water changing system is very cool

What's gonna go down with the bully I would assume a re home? Not really worth losing your favorite trigger

Trying to catch him is going to be monumental job ,... But if I do,... He'll go into the sump to chill out until I figure out what I'm going to do with him.... When I got the " bully" originally he looked like a 70 year heroin addict,.. Just skin and bones,..skinniest fish you had ever seen,..literately you could see his skeleton thru the skin...,..now he looks like an nfl football !!!!

Glad to see you are doing good. Love your pwc gadget :), I did something similar. I attached my pump to a piece of hose. Then that host I used one of those do it yourself hose repair end pieces. So when I wanted to drain my tank I attached my "dirty hose", and when I was done draining I took the dirty hose off and attached another "clean hose" and pumped my water into my dt. :) Both hoses long enough that I didn't have to move a single bucket, I just ran the dirty hose to the yard (now tub cause of winter), and I ran the other hose into my living room. Drained, then put away in closet til next pwc. :) I say had cause the piece I used to hold the hose onto the pump started to rust and I didn't want that in my dt, so I disassembled it and haven't gotten a round to making another, now I'm back to hauling and using a 2 qt pitcher to fill, and syphon to drain. Can't move brute so I get to then syphon enough out til I can lift and put dolly under it. LOL, sorry son long, just was rambling my process.

And +1 to coming home to tank.......Without it and my dog, I think I would be committed to the looney bin.

Buffy said:
Glad to see you are doing good. Love your pwc gadget :), I did something similar. I attached my pump to a piece of hose. Then that host I used one of those do it yourself hose repair end pieces. So when I wanted to drain my tank I attached my "dirty hose", and when I was done draining I took the dirty hose off and attached another "clean hose" and pumped my water into my dt. :) Both hoses long enough that I didn't have to move a single bucket, I just ran the dirty hose to the yard (now tub cause of winter), and I ran the other hose into my living room. Drained, then put away in closet til next pwc. :) I say had cause the piece I used to hold the hose onto the pump started to rust and I didn't want that in my dt, so I disassembled it and haven't gotten a round to making another, now I'm back to hauling and using a 2 qt pitcher to fill, and syphon to drain. Can't move brute so I get to then syphon enough out til I can lift and put dolly under it. LOL, sorry son long, just was rambling my process.

And +1 to coming home to tank.......Without it and my dog, I think I would be committed to the looney bin.

Hey Buffy ,..nice to hear from you,.. It's always fun trying to build a better mouse trap huh? ,... I've still got a couple of ideas kicking around in my old grayling head that some day may find their way out of the maze ,but for now my little system Works great .

As far as my tank goes ,..as of right now 95% of everything seems to be thriving ,..my mushrooms are as big as they have ever been since my tank switch over , all my hammers ,leathers, monti's , bubbles,torches etc have grown substantially over the last couple of months.
I guess I don't really have too much to complain about right now tank wise,but as always I have my fingers crossed.
As far as the real world goes,..things are looking up a little bit and once again ol Dary has gotten a little kick back to his step again..
HERE'S WISHING EVERYONE HERE A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY !!!! ( even you Ryan :) )

Last edited:
You too Dary, thanks for the wishes. Got some rough spots going on. Hate to be bah hum bug, but I pretty much quit the winter holidays 6 years ago. I buy for the grandkids and then try to get out as fast as I can.

I have some Rics now. :) They are looking good. I hope to get them into the display tank within the week. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how to get all my 75 into my 55 so I can change out the stand. Then gotta go up to attic/crawlspace and put a support beam in for the lights then the 55 back to the 75. Just no energy and got a booboo on my figure, am kinda chicken cause don't want infection. Stupid thing is right on the tip of the forefinger LOL.

Am looking forward to seeing some of your tank pics soon. :) hint hint. LOL
Take care.

Buffy said:
You too Dary, thanks for the wishes. Got some rough spots going on. Hate to be bah hum bug, but I pretty much quit the winter holidays 6 years ago. I buy for the grandkids and then try to get out as fast as I can.

I have some Rics now. :) They are looking good. I hope to get them into the display tank within the week. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how to get all my 75 into my 55 so I can change out the stand. Then gotta go up to attic/crawlspace and put a support beam in for the lights then the 55 back to the 75. Just no energy and got a booboo on my figure, am kinda chicken cause don't want infection. Stupid thing is right on the tip of the forefinger LOL.

Am looking forward to seeing some of your tank pics soon. :) hint hint. LOL
Take care.

You sound like a real trooper Buffy ,..you also sound like you may be part spider monkey with all that climbing around you do,...good luck on your stand transfer,..sounds. Like a whole lot of work ,.. I did my transfer from my 75 to my 135 and that was an awful mess .. Took the better part of a six pack to complete,... dispute the " ba hum bug" attitude,..I ( and I'm sure everyone else ) wish you the absolute best this holiday ,..now go make yourself a nice eggnog concoction put you feet up and relax!!!!!!! Merry Xmas Buffy !

hahaha, yeah, i got my work cut out for me. If I have a drink I have a funny feeling I won't stop with 1. I'm not monkey, LOL but I've been independent my whole life and basically have no one to do that junk for me. Sooooo if I don't do it, it won't get done unless my pooch and fishies and coral will do it. hehehe

I hope everyone had a super Xmas and santa brought you what you wanted or even didn't want,..I personally had a nice quite Xmas with family etc.
I had high hopes that Santa would deliver me a nice Xmas present for my tank but he musta forgotten so i went ahead and ordered myself a new skimmer.
On a sad note,..for those of you that have followed this thread,..psycho ,my picaso trigger fish with seemingly nine lives may have finally used them all up,...after being sheltered in my refugium because of attacks by my very aggressive rectangular triggerfish,..he was not seen this morning during my routine Monday morning water change,... I figured maybe he was hidding in all the greenery in the refugium but after checking all of that out it was discovered that he had jumped into the skimmer chamber and was sucked into the skimmers intake pump housing,.( incidental to getting new skimmer)...I managed to get him out of there and put him back into the refugium but he's in sad shape,..a very red nose and pretty well exhausted from his ordeal,..how long was he stuck into the intake is anyone's guess,...I fed him yesterday afternoon and all was well., he's still alive and breathing but I just don't know,...he's gotta be the toughest fish I've ever seen!!! Maybe ,just maybe he can muster up another miracle,..got my Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• image-2702523137.jpg
    image-2702523137.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Short update on " psycho"...... After lying basically motionless at the bottom of my refugium for six to eight hours he slowly started to move about,...by night fall he started to try and eat ( although his mouth is pretty banged up from the pumps impellers and overall suction ).... This morning he is swimming around the refugium and eating !!!! Totally unbelievable if you had seen him yesterday morning halfway sucked into the pump ( 500 gph) .... He's getting extra rations until he builds up all his strength again,.... Sometimes miracles do happen!!!

Last edited:
Gregcoyote said:
These fish are really resilient, if you don`t poison them with bad water quality.

I think I wanna hide under a pile of humuhumu's if we ever have a nuclear attack.., these things appear to be iindestructible

Back
Top Bottom