Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
Just wondering, why did you start dosing Kalk? Corals not growing enough?

Just wanna try and maintain the ca/ alk levels that I start off with after my pwc... Right now four days later ca-380 alk-7 +
P.s. however.... Planning larger water changes starting this week which should help out with the #'s

Last edited:
Just wanna try and maintain the ca/ alk levels that I start off with after my pwc... Right now four days later ca-380 alk-7 +
P.s. however.... Planning larger water changes starting this week which should help out with the #'s

What salt do you use?

You should look into getting reef crystals, it has a high calcium level and alk level, I've never checked red sea though. Another one I've heard a lot of good things about is seachem's salinity.

Although there's really not too much to report in the last week or so ,...everything's looking very very good,...the new 150 gpd RODI add on works perfectly and I'm thrilled with the results,.,its let me make a larger water change which has helped my tank's levels and actually used less water and less time to make up.,the new chiller is such a neat thing to have ( IMO) and its keeping the temp within a degree of where I set it,...all the recently added coals look beautiful and plump,...besides a couple of new corals that I just ordered ( bubble,hammer ,torch ) I did purchase a " new" food grade 55 gal open top plastic drum for mixing and holding my weekly water changes,.,and it's built like a brick you know what!! It' was a little pricey but it looks like you couldn't damage it if you threw it out of a 767

Dary421 said:
Although there's really not too much to report in the last week or so ,...everything's looking very very good,...the new 150 gpd RODI add on works perfectly and I'm thrilled with the results,.,its let me make a larger water change which has helped my tank's levels and actually used less water and less time to make up.,the new chiller is such a neat thing to have ( IMO) and its keeping the temp within a degree of where I set it,...all the recently added coals look beautiful and plump,...besides a couple of new corals that I just ordered ( bubble,hammer ,torch ) I did purchase a " new" food grade 55 gal open top plastic drum for mixing and holding my weekly water changes,.,and it's built like a brick you know what!! It' was a little pricey but it looks like you couldn't damage it if you threw it out of a 767

Good to hear ol friend sound like you can crack open a cold one and enjoy your work (clunk goes the lazy boy lol)

I just finished acclimating my new corals ,..and although they're in the tank now, they've just started to open up ,..the multi headed torch coral ( if you look closely enough) you'll see a little opening on the very bottom which houses a rather nice looking feather duster which has been coming out like a mad man filtering the water,..a nice little addition I'd say.,also the multi headed hammer and the two headed bubble coral are slowly opening up also.
I'll take some pictures tomorrow or whenever they fully open,..but other than that ,all's well!

Attachments

• image-330271276.jpg
    image-330271276.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-4019221927.jpg
    image-4019221927.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1075822696.jpg
    image-1075822696.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image-91591861.jpg
    image-91591861.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image-57810013.jpg
    image-57810013.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 120
Those are some great buys! The feather duster will grow big eventually, so you definitely lucked out with a pretty one, a few of mine have doubled in size since they were added.

Its now 24 hours since I've introduced the new batch of corals... All look ok except foe the hammer which seems to be still trying to open up... I remember that my last hammer took a couple of days to really get going fully.., ill give the new hammer another 24 hours or so to open up and if it hasn't by then., than ill move it to a different location and maybe that'll be the key.
Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• image-581478037.jpg
    image-581478037.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image-4149380375.jpg
    image-4149380375.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-651418368.jpg
    image-651418368.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 108
needmorecowbell said:
Sounds good, if it doesnt open, maybe less flow? Mine likes the lowest amount possible.

I got it pretty close to another hammer thats been going strong for about a year or so... I think it'll be ok there.(?).... It's looking a little better today but ill keep an eye on it.... My bubble magus skimmer started acting a little weird the last couple of days and started filling the skimmer section of my sump with a zillion micro bubbles so after work today i pulled it out of the sump and cleaned it inside and out and found that its air hose was clogged and was forcing bubbles out somewhere else..., now she's working perfectly again thank goodness!!!
I Took a picture of the little feather duster (?) that was living underneath my new torch coral.. Maybe someone could further id it but feather duster or not it's pretty cool

Attachments

• image-2728891729.jpg
    image-2728891729.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I haven't had any fish eat them, and they don't bother my corals. Two of my Acro's encrusted over them! And to the placement of the coral, if you have a coral that has done well in the same place for a year, it will be fine... As long as it isn't too different of a species. It might just take a little longer to acclimate.

All looks good Dary. Keep them going strong, how long have you had the tank now since your first coral was put in?

Back
Top Bottom