Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay...okay. I hear this from my Phoenix and California relatives all the time. Some of us have to live in the middle of the country. At least it's sunny today.
Dary, I would have been tempted to keep those starfish! Is it even legal? If you can catch a fish, seems catching a starfish is collateral damage? That is one organism the ocean doesn't seem to be running short of.

Feeding nori to my adult engineer gobies. Didn't even realize until now they liked it. They will eat anything.

Decided against the calcium reactor. Totaled up the cost of the raw chemicals I use for Cal/Alk/Mag dosing and they come to very little money. If I was buying the B-Ionic two part as I did for almost two decades, it would be different. As X said, I think adjusting my doser is easier than tweaking a reactor.guess I will stick to what was working.

Last edited:
Okay...okay. I hear this from my Phoenix and California relatives all the time. Some of us have to live in the middle of the country. At least it's sunny today.
Dary, I would have been tempted to keep those starfish! Is it even legal? If you can catch a fish, seems catching a starfish is collateral damage? That is one organism the ocean doesn't seem to be running short of.

Feeding nori to my adult engineer gobies. Didn't even realize until now they liked it. They will eat anything.

Decided against the calcium reactor. Totaled up the cost of the raw chemicals I use for Cal/Alk/Mag dosing and they come to very little money. If I was buying the B-Ionic two part as I did for almost two decades, it would be different. As X said, I think adjusting my doser is easier than tweaking a reactor.guess I will stick to what was working.

Can't argue with the success of you or X. Proof is in the pudding. Beautiful reefs you guys sure got.

Hey Dary
whats new havent been on here in a long ol time had to change my username do to creeps out there buts it me ryan-peddle how is your tank going?

Hey Dary
whats new havent been on here in a long ol time had to change my username do to creeps out there buts it me ryan-peddle how is your tank going?

Hey Ryan,..I was thinking about you the other week when I was putting together my add on cabinet for my tank,... I was laughing to myself thinking that Ryan would be shaking his head saying " what are you doing .? Let me do that ! "
No worries, it came out pretty good anyhow.,rustic early American lobster trap or as my girl friend says " weather beaten distressed driftwood.,..tank wise everything seems to be going ok,..lose a little here on something and gain something else over there,..but overall it's good.
We 're starting to get a little busy at work with some fish biting and being spring break for some doesn't hurt us either,..hopefully,it'll be a good spring and summer for us in the fishing industry this year.
I'm really glad you stopped by here and said hi,!!!

It's been a little boring around here tank wise lately , no new toys or livestock., The cabinet extension completed ( for now ), no leaks ., no breaks no mishaps, nothing!
I took a couple of pictures this am to send to my brother which ill share with you for lack of excitement.
The only thing ., which I've brought up before is to find some kind of algae eating snails which will survive with my triggerfish.... Probably like throwing a box of chocolates into a room full of fat ladies and not having them eaten ( no offense to the robust intended ) just using that as an analogy.

Attachments

• image-1547020428.jpg
    image-1547020428.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 120
  • image-2267194726.jpg
    image-2267194726.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3809508386.jpg
    image-3809508386.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3816309219.jpg
    image-3816309219.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image-930234790.jpg
    image-930234790.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image-649744704.jpg
    image-649744704.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 115
Everything looks healthy and beautiful. Keep up the excellent work! You've got some great pieces there.

You might have read that I broke down and added a blue jaw trigger to my reef. So far so good.

Yes I did...., from what I understand they aren't near as destructive or aggressive as some are ( mine :-/ )... But I'm sure with the amount of live stock and coral you have in your setup you're watching him 7/24 ... Got my fingers crossed !!
Keith., thank you,...how's the urge going for the orca ? .... And how's your dog doing?

Yes I did...., from what I understand they aren't near as destructive or aggressive as some are ( mine :-/ )... But I'm sure with the amount of live stock and coral you have in your setup you're watching him 7/24 ... Got my fingers crossed !!
Keith., thank you,...how's the urge going for the orca ? .... And how's your dog doing?

So far he's a real chicken. Eats but hides most of the time. He's one of the biggest fish in my reef, but gets pushed around by fish half his size.

Dog is pretty much back to normal, just starting to act more like a senior dog now lol, thanks for asking. The orca plans are on long term hold for now although I did see a posting on eBay for the orca 2 but it didn't quite look right. After contacting the seller it is actually an orca 250. Still a nice skimmer but an older model and I would rather just wait and get the one I want (albeit no time soon).

So far he's a real chicken. Eats but hides most of the time. He's one of the biggest fish in my reef, but gets pushed around by fish half his size.

Remember that he's the new kid on the block in a whole new world and is probably frightened and a little shy and intimidated at this point,.... I wonder if after a length of time if he'll start feeling more relaxed in his new environment and will start venturing out more and then start flexing his mussels a little bit,.... I would really love to hear how he's doing in time.......he's a lucky dog to have such a great tank to live in,..I hope he appreciates it.

Well Dary ol bud I looked back at your progress and you get a standing ovation from this cabinet maker. I love the distressed look and the batton style doors (spacing between the boards) I would add some braided rope(picture attached) in the spaces between the boards might not be your style but it would make it look even more nautical IMO. Either way great job and your tank looks amazing as always. Nice addition to your equipment as well. We are on day 15 of fishing season here in Nova Scotia so back to the river i go lol.

Attachments

• XXX_002.jpg
    XXX_002.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 74
Well Dary ol bud I looked back at your progress and you get a standing ovation from this cabinet maker. I love the distressed look and the batton style doors (spacing between the boards) I would add some braided rope(picture attached) in the spaces between the boards might not be your style but it would make it look even more nautical IMO. Either way great job and your tank looks amazing as always. Nice addition to your equipment as well. We are on day 15 of fishing season here in Nova Scotia so back to the river i go lol.

Wow,...hearing the compliments from you re.the cabinet build is like having Doug , Greg or Jacques Cousteau saying your tank looks great ! Thank you,.... The reason I wanted to go with the " baton" style was three fold,...first and foremost it was because of the " early American lobster trap " look I was going for but I also wanted to be able to peer thru the cracks while watching tv to see any warning lights,temperature display etc without having to open up the doors and also for ventilation
It's far from perfect but it'll do nicely for what I have going ,...thank you Ryan.

Dary, where do you live? Would like to meet you someday.

Lol,...about a year ago my boss and some friends were getting together for dinner and drinks ,..we told " Robert" that we were all looking forward to meeting his wife Lynn ,.. Without hesitation he looked at us with a puzzled look and asked " why???" ,...it cracked us all up.
Im flattered but " why?"...... My mom always said " don't wish for something too hard because it might just come true "
Btw ,...California

Back
Top Bottom