DaveMc's 36g Bow Front Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cycle Started - Day 1

Finally....got it wet and filters going. Today starts day one of the cycle....got my shrimp in to get the ammonia going, tomorrow will be adding a piece of live rock to seed the rest of the rock after testing the salinity and temp. Wanted to wait 24 hours first.

The light is the stock light that came with the tank....do not like it at all, but wanted to light it up to see how things looked so far. Hopefully by next week I will be able to get a hanger and then will get my LED's up on it.

img_2973550_0_aa5d7c8f13d805de1f6ad7db1c373795.jpg

Once it clears up more I will tank another pic and see if I can get a full shot with the stand also.

Once the cycle is done I will be transferring more live rock in from the 10g along with a second power head.

Since it's an upgrade you can just transfer everything over now, and the rock will already be able too support that bioload. It will also spread the bacteria, but do no harm because the bacteria population can handle your fish from the 10..

Since it's an upgrade you can just transfer everything over now, and the rock will already be able too support that bioload. It will also spread the bacteria, but do no harm because the bacteria population can handle your fish from the 10..

Really? Even though this is new rock and new water? To be honest, I wasn't able to get enough RO/DI and had to use some conditioned water with it. I am hoping by this time next month I will be able to get my RO/DI system from BRS. I so wanted it now but the money ran out lol.

Really? Even though this is new rock and new water? To be honest, I wasn't able to get enough RO/DI and had to use some conditioned water with it. I am hoping by this time next month I will be able to get my RO/DI system from BRS. I so wanted it now but the money ran out lol.

You have to transfer all your existing rock though. Without exposing it too air. I was surprised that nobody has told you that yet.
It's what I did when I went from a 20 --> 55 and I had no problems. We'll except for Marine Velvet ATM.

Don't worry about the tap water. I've used plenty of it in my tanks and never had a problem. Mine is ridiculously clean compared to most though, and I still have filters on the house.

You have to transfer all your existing rock though. Without exposing it too air. I was surprised that nobody has told you that yet.
It's what I did when I went from a 20 --> 55 and I had no problems. We'll except for Marine Velvet ATM.

Don't worry about the tap water. I've used plenty of it in my tanks and never had a problem. Mine is ridiculously clean compared to most though, and I still have filters on the house.

Wow...I had no idea! No I haven't been told that, but at the same time I never asked either lol.

I thought since everything was new I had to start a new hard cycle. :blink: Woot, loving that I can do this. But I want my LED's first hehee. Maybe I can hit the store on the way home tomorrow and get the hangers. Hate to say it but this stock light "SUCKS!" :lol:

Dave, how's the set-up going?

So far so good. Just waiting to get to the store for either conduit or hanger lol...been putting in overtime at work to support this hobby :brows: Once I have that gonna take your advice and trans current rock over to the tank and start acclimating my little creatures to the new water etc. plus put in the other power head.

Question, since the rocks from my 10g can't be exposed to air how to I get them in the 36? :blink: I was just gonna grab from on and dump in the other but there is gonna be a little air hitting them int he process.

A little air is not gonna kill enough to cause a spike. I wouldn't worry about it to much. I had no trouble when I upgraded from my 10 to 20 with exposing my rock to air for a few seconds.

Yeah a little air doesn't matter. When I moved from my 20 to 55; I exposed it and had very little ammonia.

Get that hanging solution soon, I want to see this take off buddy!

Thanks guys, a few seconds I can handle since the tanks are side by side right now. So I should go ahead and remove the floating shrimp I have in their right now then correct?

Mac, I wanna see it going too hahaha....I am planning on stopping tonight and see what I can get.
The sooner the better!

Some people take out out. Others let it fully decompose in there. I pulled mine out after about 2 weeks but left a smaller piece to decompose.

Transferred everything last night. Now need to do something a little different with the extra 10 pounds in there.

Took the light from the 10g and sat it on top of the stock hood for now. I should be able to hit the store tonight or tomorrow for hangers so I can put the LED's up and on.

So far things seem fine, of course my firefish and goby hid immediately but my clown and chromis were checking everything out lol. My sexy shrimp are so small I haven't seen them yet in this new tank haha.

Back
Top Bottom